Career

Emily Miethner: CEO, Role Model, Girl Boss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you were looking for your next #girlboss to look up to, we found her.

Her name is Emily Miethner, and on November 6 she did a talk at Hofstra about how to get to where you want to be and achieve your dreams that you thought could never become reality.

Here, we are sharing all of her best tips and how she got to be the boss she is today.

Emily earned a Bachelor’s degree at Hofstra in Fine Arts and Design, but one of her favorite professors always said she “wasn’t a great designer, but was a fantastic organizer,” and that’s exactly what she’s doing now.

After multiple internships and attempting a wide array of career paths, Emily Miethner founded FindSpark, “an online and offline community dedicated to setting up every young professional for career success and connecting employers to top, diverse early career talent,” (findspark.com). If you sign up for findspark.com, you’ll get weekly emails of job openings, internship listings, and career-finding advice. More recently, Emily founded MCG Social, a branch company of FindSpark that assists large companies in connecting with millennials on social platforms.

Want build relationships at your favorite companies, but don’t have a ton of #networking experience?  @HustleSummit is our fun, laid-back networking night in #NYC, 7/20 where you can supercharge your #career & network, no matter your experience, whether you’re an introvert or extrovert, creative or tech-y. Get tickets today at hustlesummit.co and discover a new kind of networking–one that’s actually fun!! Employers & mentors will rep companies that are #nowhiring like: @HillHolliday @macmillanusa @grey @harrys @adobe @TEKcareers @RalphLauren @ipgmediabrands + more! . . . . #internship #entryleveljobs #nowhiring #newjob #newstart #youcandoit #motivationalmonday #monday #positivevibes #goodvibes #internships #nyc #chicago #philly #boston

A post shared by FindSpark (@findspark) on

Oh, and did we mention she’s an adjunct professor at School of Visual Arts and Fashion Institute of Technology? Without a Master’s degree? Yeah.

All this to say, Emily is a #boss and here is a compilation of her best advice for owning and tackling your future.

1. “Create a strong network very early on.”

It’s all about those connections. One of Emily’s best skills is communicating with people and making sincere connections, and that’s a skill we could all work a little harder on today.

2. “Be specific about what you want.”

Our HC Hofstra Secretary, Madeline Merinuk, said in front of the entire group that her dream is to work on the editorial team at Cosmopolitan, and Emily looked right at her and said, “I know people at Cosmo. Let’s talk after.” Enough said.

3. “Take the time in every day to reach out to people.”

You know that one friend that whenever you hear “Shake it Off” you always just think of her, but you never actually text her? Start texting her.

This month @FindSpark hosted Rising Closers: A #Sales Career Summit for diverse rising talent. The program was made possible by our incredible partners at Hulu, TEKsystems, and Yelp — who brought the event to life with actionable, fun, and meaningful sessions and were warm, inclusive, and approachable throughout the event.  The program got rave reviews from our attendees and reps, and we’re thrilled to hear about the interviews that have already happened and the long-term connections that were formed. #pipeline Shout out to our speakers and reps Jemia Young, MBA, Teron Foster, and Teresa Truong at TEKsystems, Frances Melegrito, Wintana Melake, Kaivona Parker, and Isada Norflet at Yelp, and Robyn Green, Michael Artis, Arista Moultrie, and of course Sarah Gorney at Hulu. Props to @jamie_shum237 who worked so hard with our team to create this experience and @jenniphoo for being a part of making the day happen! One of my favorite testimonials: “I thoroughly enjoyed hearing from so many diverse speakers with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. There literally wasn’t a dull moment from one talk to the next. I appreciated this conference very much. Thank you #FindSpark for the opportunity to learn more.” Reach out to me to learn more about how FindSpark can support your #diversity, #inclusion, #employerbranding, and #recruitment initiatives! emily@findspark.com

A post shared by Emily Miethner (@emilymiethner) on

4. [On cellphones] “You have to be really proactive in getting yourself off the device… create opportunities where your phone is not on your body and see how that changes things.”

Even Emily, whose entire job relies heavily on social media, believes in the power of putting the phone down. A face-to-face connection will always win.

5. Have a positive attitude all the time.

College is hard. We know that, you know that, Emily knows that. Maintaining a constant smile can be exhausting, but it’s also crucial in marketing yourself as approachable and optimistic. No one likes a Debby Downer.

6. “People are always watching.”

Emily’s example of this was wearing pajamas to class. Yes, it’s college, and there isn’t any specific dress code here at Hofstra, but if you want your professors, peers, and professional networks to respect you, maybe opt for jeans and a pullover next time. First impressions are everything.

At Hofstra, Emily Miethner was that girl. Involved in everything, never letting anything stand in her way. She even organized a networking dinner for the fine arts department (Not All Artists Are Starving: A Night of Networking), all while being an active member of many clubs and maintaining her GPA. She may not have joined a professional fraternity or studied abroad, but Emily said she took every opportunity that Hofstra had to offer her and ran with it. And that is the best way to achieve your dreams: take every opportunity that comes your way.

You can follow FindSpark on Instagram and Twitter @findspark and find Emily Miethner at www.emilymiethner.com. Subscribe to FindSpark at www.findspark.com 

Madison Mento is a senior at Hofstra University and is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Spanish and Photography. She is a writer, artist, activist, and avid ginger. She likes her coffee iced, her pizza hot, and anything to do with beauty. She is currently the Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra and loves the organization!