Ed2010 Hofstra Chapter Hosts Pearson Publishing Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

On March 15th, Hofstra’s chapter of Ed2010 hosted Pearson Publishing recruiter and college specialist, Katelyn Nudo. For those who have never heard of Pearson Publishing, it is the largest education company in the world and based in over 70 countries, with it’s main U.S. headquarters in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. Odd’s are, Pearson published the textbooks that you’re using to study for your midterms right now. Nudo came to campus both to speak about the internship, and eventual career opportunities, at Pearson, and to give tips for those looking to apply for any internship sometime in the near future.

Never underestimate the power of social media skills.
According to Nudo, being proficient in social media outlets, such as Facebook and Twitter, is a valuable skill to have. If a company hasn’t already branched out into the social media trends, they are looking to do so as soon as possible, and having someone on their team who knows the websites is important. You might even get the chance to work with older employees in the company who need your assistance with learning how to use the websites as well.

Social media also has the power to destroy your image.
While employers aren’t supposed to look potential employees up on the Internet, there is no guarantee that they won’t. Therefore, it’s a good idea to both check your privacy settings on your Facebook, Twitter, and any other social media website that you may be a member of, and delete any unflattering pictures, status updates, and wall photos. Socioclean.com can help aid in this process, as the site scans your social media sites and tells you if there is anything incriminating that you might want to get rid of..

Resumes and cover letters should showcase who you are presently.
When it comes to resumes and cover letters, Nudo recommends keeping the information that you include to what you have accomplished during college. Unless your high school jobs or clubs were relevant to what you are applying to now, there is no need to put them on your resume. What is important? Showing that you have leadership skills, whether it is in a club or fundraising event, is important to potential employers. Showing that you can multitask is essential as well, so make sure to mention any clubs that you are active in as well as your GPA, proving that you can handle an active social life and maintain your grades. When writing your cover letter, be sure to also include why you would like to work for the company that you are applying to and what you feel you could bring to the job. Most importantly: keep both your resume and cover letter at one page each.

Internships aren’t just for undergraduates.
If you’re a recent graduate and unable to find a job, or just need more experience, internships can be a great way to start your career. By taking an internship, you have the opportunity to gain knowledge in a field as well as make connections. At the end of the internship, there may even be opportunities for full-time employment.

Don’t be afraid to go straight to the person that you want to hire you.
If you know what department that you would like to get an internship for, and can get the department head’s contact information, don’t be afraid to get in touch with them directly. It isn’t uncommon for resumes and cover letters to get lost in a sea of applicants, and contacting someone that would have a say in getting you your dream internship will help you stand out.

Now, if an internship in publishing is something that you are interested in, from the editorial to marketing department, Pearson is currently accepting applicants for their eight-week internship program this summer. To apply, go to jobs.pearson.com and either search for “PEIP” (Pearson Education Internship Program) or click “Pearson Ed Internship Jobs” under the “Featured Jobs” tab. There you will find opportunities in various locations across the country, and how to apply. 

Nikki Maniscalco is Hofstra University's Campus Couture editor. She is a senior majoring in English and Publishing Studies with a minor in Journalism. On campus, she is also involved in Ed2012, Nexus Yearbook, and a Communications Volunteer for the 2012 Presidential Debate. Off campus, she is an editorial intern at The Daily Meal. Her hobbies, aside from writing, include photography, cooking, spending more money on clothes and shoes than she should, and enjoying every second of college life with her friends before she graduates in the spring.
Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!