Easy Ways to Bring Holiday Spirit to Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Now that it’s December and most of us are stuck on campus, you might feel like you are missing out on the usual holiday festivities with family and friends. Your dorm might feel small, but there are so many ways to bring the holiday spirit to college and make it feel like home!

Christmas Lights

Christmas lights are a classic way to brighten up your room and remind everyone that the holidays are here. This tip happens to be my favorite! I’ve actually had Christmas lights up since move-in day, and with the holidays arriving, I inspired all three of my suitemates to get their own too! Just be sure your dorm allows you to have them.

Stockings

If you have the room for it, hang up stockings with your roommates. It adds the perfect touch to making your dorm feel and look like home, and maybe you can each fill each other’s stocking up with candy and gifts!

Mini Christmas Tree/Menorah

If you’re missing your Christmas tree back at home, who says a miniature one won’t do the trick? Target sells small, fake, colorful trees with mini ornaments that will add the final touch to your holiday-themed dorm. You can also get a mini light up Menorah or other objects, depending on what you celebrate!

Paper Snowflakes

Making paper snowflakes in school was a classic school activity for many of us, and if you feel like you’ve outgrown that activity, you’re wrong! Paper snowflakes are so cheap to make, they can be a fun activity to do with your roommates, and the final products can be placed all around your dorm.

Faux Wreath

Nothing is as homey as a wreath on the door (if you’re allowed)!

Movies & Baking

Make sure you catch all of the Christmas movies on TV this time of year! Plan some movie nights, and bake some treats with friends (find some holiday recipes here).

What will you do to stay in the holiday spirit? Let us know in the comments below and have a Happy Holiday, collegiettes!

Jersey girl. Senior Accounting major at Hofstra University. Treasurer for Hofstra's Her Campus chapter. Raven loves entertainment, fashion, and fitness, and has a true passion for journalism. Be sure to check out her favorite form of social media, Pinterest: /ravenjtak