Easy Dorm Room Dinners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Sometimes you’d rather finish up that last episode in your favorite Netflix series than make the trek to the dining hall. If you’re looking to dine in tonight, look no further. Here are 6 easy recipes you can make in your own dorm room.

Deli Roll-Ups

Fun sandwich bites for a casual night in.

Ingredients:

• Tortilla wraps
  • Sandwich toppings of your choice (cheese, deli meat, lettuce, etc.)

First, cut and lay out the wraps in strips. Then, layer your favorite sandwich meat and cheese and roll up the wrap as if you’re rolling sushi. Then, cut the large roll into bite-size pieces and viola! Fun sandwich roll-ups at your fingertips.

Creative Kebabs

Have any extra fruit and vegetables lying around? Put them to use!

Ingredients:

• Sliced fruit and/or vegetables
  • Optional: cold cuts and cheese

Use a variety of sliced fruits like grapes, strawberries and blueberries, to make fruit kebabs to soothe your late night sweet tooth. Or, alternate vegetables like carrots or celery with cubed pieces of cheese to create a different kebab in only a few minutes! If you don’t happen to have skewers, you can use toothpicks or simply put the ingredients on a plate and eat them as finger food.

Holy Guacamole

Satisfy your need for chipotle using only a few simple ingredients to make this dorm-made guacamole.

Ingredients:

• Ripe avocado
  • Salt
  • Lemon juice
  • Tomatoes/onions
  • Tortilla chips

If you have an avocado sitting around that is perfectly ripened, use it immediately! Mash up your avocado in a bowl and add in some lemon juice and salt for flavor. Then, finely chop tomatoes and onions and combine with your avocado. Just like that you’re finished! Use tortilla chips to dip into your masterpiece and you’re fiesta-ready.

Sausage and Cheese Melt

If you’re craving breakfast for dinner, this recipe will definitely hit the spot.

Ingredients:

• Microwavable sausage
  • Cheese
  • English muffin, bagel, or croissant

Begin by microwaving your sausage (whether it be a patty or links). About 5-10 seconds before the time is up, place a piece of cheese on top to melt. When it’s finished, take both the sausage and the cheese and place it between either two halves of an English muffin, croissant, or bagel for a makeshift McMuffin.

Gourmet-Style Hot Dog

This loaded dog will take you back to the ballgame.

Ingredients:

• Hot dog
  • Hot dog bun (or just bread)
  • Condiments
  • Lettuce, tomatoes, or onion

Microwave your hot dog and place it into your bun or between slices of bread, and then get creative! Load it up with condiments, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and anything else your heart desires. Depending on how you style your dog, this can be quite a hearty meal!

Mug Mac and Cheese

Kraft just not doing it for you anymore? Try microwaving mac in cheese inside a mug to get your own take on homemade mac and cheese!

• Ingredients:
  • Macaroni noodles
  • Milk (or water)
  • Shredded cheese

This cheesy creation can be ready in less than five minutes! Add a half cup of macaroni and a half cup of milk or water into a mug and microwave for a minute and then stir. Repeat this step two more times. Then add your shredded cheese and microwave for another 30 seconds. Your noodles should be cooked and your cheese should be melted. Now you’re ready to enjoy!

Journalism major at Hofstra University
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.