Early Detection for Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s October and that means…

That’s right! Breast Cancer Awareness Month! So in an effort to save those tatas here are 3 things you should do for early detection:

1. Breast Self-Exam

According to Johns Hopkins Medical center, 40 percent of breast cancer diagnoses are from women detecting a lump themselves! Performing a regular self-exam on a monthly basis can alert that something might be wrong if you notice any change in how your breasts look or feel. Make sure to alert a healthcare professional if you do notice any of these changes.

2. Clinical Breast Exam

This exam should be done every year during your annual check-up by your family physician or gynecologist. A clinical breast exam also allows a healthcare official to detect any lumps or physical changes. When anything suspicious is found, your healthcare professional records the change and determines whether further tests will be needed.

3. Mammogram

The frequency of mammograms for our generation depends upon your family’s history and how your healthcare professional feels about your need for a mammogram. Nevertheless, mammograms are a big part of early detection as they can show tiny clusters of calcium and lumps or specks that cannot be felt through a self-exam or a clinical exam. If anything abnormal is detected, your doctor will determine a further plan to come to a conclusion about the abnormal result.

You can find all of this information as well as create your own early detection plan at http://www.earlydetectionplan.org/ . They even have a mobile app!

Go get your plan! Tell everyone how easy it is to detect breast cancer early! And don’t forget to celebrate the tatas!

Kelly is a curret sophomore at Hofstra University studying Art History and Physics. Coming from the small town of Oley, PA, Kelly is a certified yoga instructor with a passion for learning, reading, and writing. She is figuring out what she wants to do with her degrees while living a healthy life and finding enjoyment out of every moment. Follow her blog at kinanutshell.wordpress.com!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!