Style > Beauty

Dry Skin? Here are the 5 Best Moisturizers for Your Face & Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

By far my favorite time of the year is winter. I have horrible heat intolerance so the cold wind works perfectly for me! Also, sweaters, sweatshirts and leggings with my Timbs are my stable outfit! Plus, don’t get me started on how beautiful NYC looks covered in snow! However, one part of me that hates winter is my skin! I have awful dry skin and the cold weather really makes it worse, so here are my top five best face and skin moisturizers!

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

I have used Neutrogena products for so many years now, between body washes and creams and even makeup products, I have been through a billion of them! However, this face cream is by far the best thing that they have ever created in my personal opinion, and it is only $15.99 at Walmart. I put a thin layer on each morning and my face stays fresh, cool, and glowing all day long! Most importantly, my face never starts to feel cracked or tired no matter how long the cold wind hits my face. I am so serious, long walks on the beach in January, many city trips to see the Rockefeller Christmas Tree, or even outside ice skating trips are no match for this long-lasting, all-day relief cream!

Neutrogena Deep Moisture Night Cream

Just like the hydro-boost water gel, this Neutrogena cream has become a staple in my nighttime skincare routine. When buying this product it might be scary, the cream is incredibly thick and it goes on like butter, as well as taking a few minutes to fully dry on your face. However, after those few minutes, the greasy feeling is completely gone. It is almost impossible to tell that you have this cream on your face from just looking, but you can definitely tell due to the suppleness and softness upon waking up the next morning! Personally, I think it is the best overnight cream you can buy for only $11.49 at target.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Whipped Body Balm

For just under $6 on Amazon, this is by far the best body cream ever. Again, Neutrogena does not disappoint. No matter if you put this cream in the fridge or not it is always cold and refreshing on dry skin. Personally, I have dry spots on towards the top of my arm that become super itchy and irritating especially when it begins to get cold. One or two applications of this cream daily will reduce the redness and dryness of these spots to the point where they are almost not noticeable anymore! This cream dries almost instantly, but it leaves a cooling sensation that relieves dry skin all day long.

Nivea Oil Infused Lotion

Nivea is one of those dry skin brands that the whole family can use. My mom swears by the oil-infused lotion they have! It goes on so incredibly smooth and dries in seconds making it perfect for a quick pick me up throughout the day for hands and arms! I use the vanilla and almond oil scented one and it smells so amazing and the smell lasts for hours which is a great bonus. At most stores, you can get this cream for under $6. 

O’Keeffe’s Foot/Hand/Body Cream

O’Keeffe’s is the most intense cream I have found for dry skin. I usually use this on my feet only, especially after work in the summer because my summer job involves a lot of standing barefoot on a pool deck. This cream does not dry which can be annoying for some, but it’s due to its crazy healing ability. I cover my feet in the cream, throw on socks to lock in moisture, and when I wake up my feet are no longer cracked, but they have the softness of a newborn baby’s skin! I have used the hand and body cream before, and I am not the biggest fan due to the greasy feel they have, but they work incredibly well if you have cracked and dry skin, Plus, you can pick these up for under $10 in some stores!

When it comes to dry skin, trust me I know my stuff. After years and years of competitively swimming and never taking care of my skin correctly, dry and cracked skin has become an everyday battle. However, I have found that these creams listed above do exactly what I need when I need it, with the added benefit of them being completely affordable.

Photo Courtesy of The Creative Exchange

Arianna is a part of the class of 2023 at Hofstra University. She is a biology major with a concentration in ecology and evolutionary biology. She can be found at any moment in her dorm room talking with her mystery snails, and no that is not a joke. She is probably eating ice cream and waffles with them too.