This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Taylor Swift’s newest album, “Evermore,” is one of her best albums to date. It gives us all the forest-y vibes and the lyrics are absolutely amazing. All of the songs are great in their own way, but here is our definitive ranking of every song on the album (not including the bonus tracks)!

“No Body No Crime”

This one is a complete banger. No pun intended (since it’s about murder) Featuring HAIM, this song tells the story of Swift’s friend who’s convinced her husband is cheating on her and madness ensues. 

Best Lyric:

“Este’s a friend of mine

We meet up every Tuesday night for dinner and a glass of wine

Este’s been losin’ sleep

Her husband’s been actin’ different, and it smells like infidelity”

“Champagne Problems”

“Champagne Problems” is the song to listen to when you need a good, long cry. It is about a rejected proposal, and while the instrumental is simple, it really helps the lyrics shine. 

Best Lyric:

“One for the money, two for the show

I never was ready, so I watch you go

Sometimes you just don’t know the answer

Till someone’s on their knees and asks you”

“Ivy”

“Ivy,” tells the story of an affair (there are other theories too.. like a dead husband… there’s a lot of debate over what this song is about on social media.) and the lyrics are stellar. The instrumental is beautiful. It is all around pretty song. 

Best Lyric:

“How’s one to know?

I’d live and die for moments that we stole

On begged and borrowed time

So tell me to run

Or dare to sit and watch what we’ll become

And drink my husband’s wine”

“Long Story Short”

This one is very underrated. “Long Story Short,” tells the story of Swift’s past, and finding love again. It is an inspiring song that reminds you to keep going in life, because it really does get better.

Best Lyric:

“Past me

I wanna tell you not to get lost in these petty things

Your nemeses

Will defeat themselves before you get the chance to swing”

“Cowboy Like Me”

This song is severely underrated. This song tells a story about a love story between two bandits, and it is glorious. 

Best Lyric: 

“Now you hang from my lips

Like the Gardens of Babylon

With your boots beneath my bed

Forever is the sweetest con”

“Marjorie”

This song is one of the most special on the album. It is about Swift’s late Grandmother, Marjorie, who was an opera singer and is actually featured on the track as background vocals using old recordings of her. It is a very heartfelt song and will make you want to hug your loved ones after you listen to it.

Best Lyric:

“Should’ve kept every grocery store receipt

‘Cause every scrap of you would be taken from me

Watched as you signed your name Marjorie

All your closets of backlogged dreams

And how you left them all to me”

“Happiness”

“Happiness” is about an end of a relationship, and recognizing the good in the relationship once it’s over. 

Best Lyric:

“Past the blood and bruise

Past the curses and cries

Beyond the terror in the nightfall

Haunted by the look in my eyes

That would’ve loved you for a lifetime”

“Willow”

The lead single of the album, “Willow,” to make it short, is a BOP.

Best Lyric:

“Life was a willow and it bent right to your wind

They count me out time and time again

Life was a willow and it bent right to your wind

But I come back stronger than a 90’s trend”

“Tolerate It”

A heartbreak song, “Tolerate It,” is a song about a love given but is never received. 

Best Lyric:

“Break free and leave us in ruins

Took this dagger in me and removed it

Gain the weight of you then lose it

Believe me, I could do it”

“‘Tis the Damn Season”

“‘Tis the Damn Season,” is essentially a song about getting with your ex from your hometown during the holidays. The chorus is heavenly. 

Best Lyric: 

“Time flies

Messy as the mud on your truck tires

Now I’m missing your smile, hear me out

We could just ride around

And the road not taken looks real good now”

Gold Rush

This song is another one of the more upbeat songs, it describes a love that may be intimidating. The bridge is amazing.

Best Lyric:

“Everybody wonders what it would be like to love you

Walk past, quick brush

I don’t like slow motion double vision in rose blush

I don’t like that falling feels like flying till the bone crush”

“Closure”

“Closure” has a very interesting instrumental with what sounds like clashing over a piano track, which reflects the meaning of the song. In the song, Swift talks about someone she has had issues with trying to end their feud so they don’t have to worry about Swift anymore but Swift is not interested in the “Closure.”

Best Lyric:

“Don’t treat me like some situation that needs to be handled

I’m fine with my spite

And my tears

And my beers and my candles

I can feel you smoothing me over”

“Evermore”

The title track, “Evermore,” featuring Bon Iver is a calming piano track that talks about mental health and the light at the end of the tunnel. Taylor goes on a journey in this song where she feels like her life is over in the first half, but by the end, she realizes that the pain isn’t forever. 

Best Lyric:

“Motion capture

Put me in a bad light

I replay my footsteps on each stepping stone

Trying to find the one where I went wrong”

“Dorthea”

Dorthea is one of the more upbeat songs on the album. The piano riff is quite cheerful and the lyrics are clever as always. 

Best Lyric: 

“And if you’re ever tired of being known

For who you know

You know, you’ll always know me”

“Coney Island”

This song featuring the band The National is a somber tune about a breakup or breakups (Swifties think it is about all of Swift’s ex-boyfriends, but it’s not confirmed). A perfect song to get in your feels to. 

Best Lyric:

“How’d we get here so soon?

Did I close my fist around something delicate?

Did I shatter you?”

Taylor Swift is without a doubt one of the most versatile artists of our generation, and this album just proves it even further. Two albums in a year is an outstanding feat… She can only get better from here!

Sofia Staub

Hofstra '24

Sofia Staub is a freshman at Hofstra University. She is studying Public Relations. She loves knitting, dogs and iced coffee.