This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Dear Freshmen,

Apologies if I get a little sentimental here but I’ve been around the block of college for a while now.

***DISCLAIMER*** Below is actual footage of my freshmen year, all parties featured have since had glow-ups.

Freshmen year is lit. Remember that, even after all the petty fights you have with your freshman squad, the inevitable f***boy that enters your life regardless of whether or not you’re single, and your first failed exam (it’ll happen—high school genius’ I’m especially talking to you).

You’ll be mentally tested, but it’ll be ok. Freshmen year involves a lot of self-discovery. You may have come to college with some of your home friends but many of us go our seperate ways.Honestly, didn’t have to think too hard about this until I went away to college but who are you when you’re given a fresh start? Maybe you haven’t been your true self at home or maybe college is your glow-up period. One thing for sure is freshman year is like going through puberty without the hormones to blame for the madness. Strap in, it’s about to be a bumpy ride.

A bad roommate is the least of your problems. We’ve all heard the horror stories. But as long as you have an RA willing to talk it out with you guys, you should be fine. I had a nightmare roommate situation (luckily 3/4 of us were friends) and our RA played guidance counselor throughout the whole thing. She ended up moving out, but shout out to my RA for de-escalating what could have been a fist fight. You have other friends so go out, study with them, eat with them, go to class with them, and where you sleep will seem like less of a big deal. It’ll all be ok. 

Have all the fun. But not so much that you regret it later. Speaking as the reformed party girl who went from going out 4x a week to falling asleep by 11 pm on my 21st birthday, if you go full speed ahead at the party front then you will gas out. Your 20s are supposed to be your time to say yes to everything but don’t say yes to things that you’re really not comfortable with. If you agree to things you’re not that into, you’re not really doing it for you so what’s the point? Your definition of fun could mean anything from a threesome, because college, or having a really intense study session—don’t compromise.

SAVE. You will never know broke until college. Like truely, really broke. If you’re going through a bottle of vodka a week (#tbt), buying drunk food, and trying to keep up with being trendy, it’ll cost you. If you can, work on campus because the hours are amazing with usually minimal work so you can do your homework. If you don’t plan on working during the semester, you better take all the shifts you can during winter and summer break. Also paid internships exist, the rumor about most being unpaid isn’t necessarily true anymore because everyone’s getting sued. Oops.

The future opens you with open arms. Don’t be scared because your cynical uncle says your major is useless or your professors say “lol good luck”. They’re probably just bitter because Millennials and Gen Z are desirable AF right now since we’re willing to do five jobs under one title (yes, we’re insane like that). Don’t stress about your career right off the bat. Just study hard and the rest will come naturally.

From a graduating senior to you little freshman born in the 2000’s (WEIRD) kill it in college and cherish every lovely, as well as dumb, thing freshmen year has to offer.

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.