Dealing with the Distance: Tips to Survive a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Long distance relationships definitely aren’t easy. Unless you’re lucky enough to find someone who goes to school with you and lives in your hometown, chances are you’ll be dealing with distance some time in your relationship. The hardest part about an LDR (long distance relationship) is fighting the distance. Because of distance you can’t do things that normal couples do: you can’t just go visit each other whenever you want, you can’t hug him if you have a bad day, and you can’t go out together on Friday nights. Because you can’t do all of the conventional things that couples do, you have to find a way around it.

Communication is Key
The first way to stop the distance from separating you more than physically is through communication. Most couples talk at some point every day, but when you are in a LDR, communication is so much more important, because it is all you have. Text, call, Skype, email, chat, and write letters to each other to help keep each other up-to-date with your life. By telling each other about your day, feelings, and thoughts it will help keep the two of you close on a social and emotional level.

Come Up with a Game Plan
To prevent getting bored talking and in turn bored of each other, mix it up. You can’t go out to the movies together, so instead get on Netflix and both watch the same movie at the same time while on Skype. This way you can spend time with each other but do something other than talking. Or instead of a movie, play a game together, like battle ships. This is a fun game you can play together over Skype if you both have a board. 

Live Your Life
While spending time together and talking to each other is very important to maintain a LDR, make sure to live your own life to. If you spend all of your time calling and texting each other, you’ll miss on your own life that’s going on around you. You need to get out and spend time with your friends and do things for yourself. Your LDR cannot be your life; you need to find a balance between communicating with your honey and living your own life.

Even with these tips, a long distance relationship won’t be easy, but it can definitely be worth it!

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!