person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Day Trips in NYC and Long Island for the Best Insta Pics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

*Inhales* Smell that folks? That’s the lovely scent of fall. *exhales*

Ok, obviously I’m obsessed with the season fall – I even was the season one year for Halloween.

The foliage, the sweaters and all of the opportunities for your Instagram to peak after the awkward stage between summer adventures and the first few weeks of classes is just a small fragment of why this season is the best. I personally think this is the time for you to shine. 

Now if you’re looking for day trips and ideas of places to hang out I’ve compiled a list for you to get started. And remember, ultimately these places are picked to create memories with your friends and fulfill your need to be ‘basic’ so don’t think of Instagram as the end goal.

Eisenhower Park:

It’s right in our backyard at Hofstra. And while Central Park is an obvious location, this place is so convenient. Pile up leaf piles, take basic pictures of you and your friends laughing on the swings and when you’re tired and hungry you can easily retreat back to campus without spending money.

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden:

Hello? This location serves you up the best fall foliage, plants and nearby cafes to get your coveted PSL. For only $8 with your student ID you’ll want to make this an all-day thing. But don’t post yet, because you never know what you’ll like if you stop by the Brooklyn Museum next door.

F&W Schmitt’s Family Farm:

This is the most adorable pumpkin patch I’ve ever been to. About a 20-minute drive from campus, this is a place that will truly make you feel like a kid again. Take the free hayride out to the pumpkin patch, do the corn maze and maybe even visit the petting zoo.

The Brooklyn Grange:

If sustainability is your fall aesthetic, this is definitely the place to go. Brooklyn Grange gives tours to their rooftop garden in Long Island City (Queens) for small groups which you MUST book in advance but don’t worry, it’s cheaper than going to the movies and you get to learn about environmental consciousness with an amazing view of the city.

Harbes Farm & Orchard:

As an upstate New Yorker, apples are the way to my heart and these apples are delicious. 10/10 would recommend. Fair warning though, this place is an hour and a half drive away from campus so make sure you prepare a fire playlist and prepare for the prices that come with being near the Hamptons. It’s more about the overall experience or at least that’s what you can tell your wallet.

The Brooklyn Brewery:

Keep scrolling if you’re under 21, sorry. Serving craft beer and hipster vibes in Williamsburg you can schedule a free tour of their facility and of course purchase beer. Time to show your college friends that you’re more sophisticated than the standard keg party.

The High Line:

Starting in Chelsea and spanning all the way to 34th street, The High Line is a rooftop garden that always has something going on. Check out the free galleries below to unleash your inner fashionista or post up on the balcony facing the Chelsea Piers.

Central Park:

Duh. I don’t think I really need to explain this one. Central Park is the hub of NYC fall.

And remember when you take pictures to say PSL on three!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.