This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Tuesday, October 24 was “Most Memorable Year” Night on DWTS, where the remaining 10 couples danced a routine inspired by their most memorable year. The night gave viewers an emotional roller coaster, but nothing compared to the touching tribute dance past and present DWTS pros did later in the evening in honor of late DWTS judge Len Goodman. Last Tuesday’s scores had a ten-point gap between the lowest to highest couples, with scores ranging from 18 to 28. 

Academy-award winner Mira Sorvino and Gleb Savchenko opened the show with their Contemporary to “Time After Time” by Cyndi Lauper. Sorvino chose the year her daughter, Mattea, was born as her most memorable year. Sorvino’s heartfelt contemporary routine not only earned the couple 22 out of 30 points, but also included Sorvino’s daughter Mattea on the dance floor with them.

Vanderpump Rules reality star Ariana Madix and her partner Pasha Pashkov were up next with their Viennese Waltz to “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish. Madix chose 2023 as her most memorable year – the year she caught her ex boyfriend having an affair. Madix also shared that she eventually was able to find a silver lining, and she’s so proud of how far she’s come. Madix portrayed all of these emotions in her routine, and earned herself 24 points. 

Bachelorette star Charity Lawson and her partner Artem Chigvintsev were next with their Contemporary to “Lose You to Love Me” by Selena Gomez. Lawson chose 2022, the year she finished grad school and began her journey on The Bachelor, and later on The Bachelorette. Lawson explained that it took a previous toxic relationship to “become the version of who I am today.” The emotional routine earned the couple the first “10” of season and gave the couple 28 total points, landing them tied at the top of the leaderboard. 

Actress Alyson Hannigan then danced a Viennese Waltz with her partner Sasha Farber to “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran. Hannigan chose the year 2003, the year she married her husband Alexis Denisof. The touching routine earned the couple 21 points. 

Too Hot To Handle star Harry Jowsey and Rylee Arnold danced next with a Contemporary to “Keep Your Head Up” by Andy Grammer. For his most memorable year, Jowsey chose 2020, the year Too Hot To Handle premiered on Netflix. Jowsey shared how the newfound fame came with negative effects on his mental health. The routine earned the couple the lowest score of the night, an 18, and judge Bruno Tonioli encouraged Jowsey to have smoother movements and to avoid being stiff.  

At the halfway point of the night, past and present DWTS pros dedicated a special dance to late DWTS judge Len Goodman. OG pros Maks Chmerkovskiy, Kym Johnson-Herjavec, Tony Dovolani, Karina Smirnoff, Anna Trebunskaya, Edyta Śliwińska, Louis van Amstel and Mark Ballas returned to the DWTS ballroom for the occasion. The tribute began with a video package of the pros and judge Derek Hough sharing their fondest memories with Goodman. The returning and current pros danced an emotional number to Henry Mancini’s, “Moon River,” a song and dance style that was Goodman’s favorite. The performance ended with a spotlight on Len’s former chair at the judges’ desk. The dance earned a ballroom-wide standing ovation and not a single dry eye in the audience.

Next, Grammy winner Jason Mraz and his partner Daniella Karagach danced a Quickstep to “On the Road Again” by Willie Nelson. Mraz chose 1999, the year he decided to hit the road and follow his dreams of being a musician. The routine earned the couple 27 points. 

Social media personality Lele Pons and her partner Brandon Armstrong danced next with their Contemporary to “I’ll Stand By You” by The Pretenders. Pons chose 2020, the year she released a docu-series about mental health. The routine, which judge Carrie Ann Inaba called her “best dance,” earned a total of 24 points. 

Actress Xochitl Gomez and her partner Val Chmerkovskiy were next with their Viennese Waltz to “Until I Found You” by Stephen Sanchez. Gomez chose 2021 as her most memorable year – the year she booked a role in Marvel’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Gomez also shared that due to this life changing role, she was bummed that she wasn’t able to have her quinceañera. Gomez shared that although she couldn’t dance to Sanchez’s song at her quinceañera, she hoped she could do it justice now. The beautiful routine earned Gomez a “10,” and a score of 28, tying her at the top of the leaderboard with Lawson and Chigvintsev.

Real estate broker and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills husband Mauricio Umansky and his partner Emma Slater were next with their Contemporary to “Rise Up” by Andra Day. Umansky chose 1996, the year he was fired from his job and could no longer provide for his family. Tonioli called the routine Umansky’s “best dance yet.” The couple earned 24 points. 

Finally, The Brady Bunch star Barry Williams and his partner Peta Murgatroyd danced a Paso Doble to “Born to Be Wild” by Steppenwolf. Williams chose 1968, the year he booked The Brady Bunch and everything changed. The dance earned the couple 24 points.

It was now time for the elimination. Host Alfonso Ribeiro revealed that this elimination had the “closest votes of the season, up until the last moment.” Hannigan and Farber, Jowsey and Arnold, and Sorvino and Savchenko found themselves as the bottom three based on viewers’ votes. It was then revealed that Sorvino and Savchenko had been eliminated.

A new episode of DWTS premiered on Halloween – and it was Monster Night! It will be exciting to continue watching the remaining couples dance for a chance at the mirrorball!

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.