Dancing with the Stars Two-Night Event Recap!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Dancing With the Stars was back on Monday, Oct. 17, and Tuesday, Oct. 18, on Disney Plus for an unforgettable two-night event! Monday was “Most Memorable Year” Night where stars danced a routine inspired by their most memorable years. The festivities continued Tuesday for Prom Night! Couples had to face a new challenge this week – learning two different routines. Monday night’s scores had a 10-point gap between the lowest to highest couples, with scores ranging from 29 to 39. Monday’s show also featured the first “10s” of the season! 

As expected, Monday’s “Most Memorable Year” kept viewers on an emotional roller coaster but nothing compared to the evening’s climax – actress Selma Blair announcing that she and her partner Sasha Farber would not return to the competition due to Selma’s increasing health concerns. The couple gave viewers one last dance, an emotional Waltz, inspired by Selma’s memories of being diagnosed in 2018 with Multiple Sclerosis. Selma and Sasha not only brought judges and competitors to tears, but they also received a standing ovation. Additionally, the dance, which was judged but not weighted in the competition, earned four “10s” (a perfect score of 40 points). The judges all thanked her for sharing her story and for continuously bringing positivity and inspiration into the ballroom each week. 

The rest of the night was just as memorable, with Charli D’Amelio and Mark Ballas dancing a Contemporary routine inspired by Charli’s struggle with anxiety, earning the first “10s” of the season. However, they weren’t the only ones to earn “10s”. Wayne Brady and Witney Carson danced a Foxtrot dedicated to Wayne’s daughter, and Gabby Windy and Val Chmerkovskiy danced a Foxtrot as well, dedicated to the health professions for their work in 2020. Charli and Mark landed at the top of the leaderboard for the night after tying for first place with Wayne and Gabby for the last three weeks.

Country singer Jessie James Decker and her partner Alan Bersten found themselves at the bottom of the leaderboard Monday night. They danced a Tango to Jessie’s own song “Blue Jeans,” which she dedicated to her kids. Although the couple had the lowest score of the night, they were safe because of Selma’s unexpected exit. 

The DWTS marathon continued Tuesday with Prom Night, with songs and routines that allowed competitors to relive their Prom experience, and for some, go to their first Prom. In addition to learning a second dance for night two, couples also competed in a dance marathon for the chance to earn extra points. The winners of the marathon would be named DWTS Prom King and Queen.

Tuesday night’s scores had a 12-point gap between the lowest to highest couples, with scores ranging from 28 to 40. Tuesday’s show also featured the first perfect scores of the season! 

Charli and Mark earned three “10s” for their Jive, including the first “10” this season given by judge Len Goodman. Despite Len’s praise, Charli and Mark didn’t earn a perfect score. This accomplishment was earned by Wayne and Witney, and Gabby and Val. Gabby and Val danced a Tango to “Good Girls Go Bad” by Cobra Starship ft. Leighton Meester, earning the first perfect score! Wayne and Witney danced a Samba to “It Takes Two” by Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock, earning themselves a perfect score as well. Wayne’s dance also received an unprecedented standing ovation from Len!

After every couple performed their routines, it was time for the dance marathon! Every couple danced improv routines in small areas, and based on the judge’s decisions, couples were removed throughout the marathon. Halfway through the marathon, the dance switched to the Lindy Hop, which allowed the couples to move around the floor. Daniel Durant and Britt Stewart were the first couple eliminated from the dance floor, earning them only one bonus point. The last couple standing at the end of the marathon was Jessie and Alan, an honor earning them 11 extra points, and the title of DWTS Prom King and Prom Queen. 

Once all of the scores and votes for both nights were tallied, Vinny Guadagnino and Koko Iwasaki landed at the bottom of the leaderboard for both the night and the week as a whole, however, once again they escaped landing as one of the bottom two couples in the elimination. That was reserved for Joseph Baena and Daniella Karagach Pashkova and Heidi D’Amelio and Artem Chigvintsev. Judges Derek Hough and Bruno Tonioli voted to save Heidi and Artem, yet Carrie Ann Inaba voted to save Joseph and Daniella. Len voted to save Heidi and Artem, ultimately sending Joseph and Daniella home. 

Week six, which premieres Monday, Oct. 24, will be Michael Bublé Night, and the singer himself will be in the ballroom to perform and guest judge! It will be exciting to see our first guest judge of the competition and how this can shake things up!

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.