Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Dancing With The Stars Semi Finals Recap!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Only a mere few hours away from the much-anticipated Dancing With the Stars season 32 finale, Tuesday, November 28th’s semifinals was the most tense night of the competition yet. And for an added bonus, the episode also had the most shocking twist of the season.

The evening featured two full routines – one ballroom style and one Latin style – from each of the five remaining couples. Tuesday night’s scores had a nine-point gap between the lowest and highest couples, with scores ranging from 51 to 60.

Vanderpump Rules reality star Ariana Madix and her partner Pasha Pashkov were the first on the dance floor with their Jive to “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars. In her package, Madix shared that she was thrilled to be in the semifinals and that, “no matter what it takes, I’m gonna give it all I’ve got.” The judges praised the dance and gave the couple 28 out of 30 points. 

Next up, Grammy winner Jason Mraz and his partner Daniella Karagach danced a Viennese Waltz to his own song, “I Won’t Give Up.” After having a great comeback for Taylor Swift night, Mraz shared in his package that he was, “gonna take that momentum with me into the semifinals.” He also revealed that he was nervous for his Viennese Waltz this week because of a battle with motion sickness when spinning. Despite his concerns, the couple danced an elegant Viennese Waltz and earned a 27 out of 30.

Actress Xochitl Gomez and her partner Val Chmerkovskiy were next with their Samba to “Samba” by Gloria Estefan. Gomez shared that she never thought she would make it to the semifinals and that she was “determined to make this performance flawless.” Luckily for Gomez, her wishes came true and her Samba earned a perfect score!

Bachelorette star Charity Lawson and her partner Artem Chigvintsev danced next with their Rumba to “Love the Way You Lie Part III” by Skylar Grey. Lawson shared that earning two “10s” the previous week was incredible and how this week she wanted to “really step up my performance.” The routine earned the couple a 29 out of 30. 

Actress Alyson Hannigan and her partner Sasha Farber had the last dance of the Latin style round. The couple danced a Jive to “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins. Hannigan shared how she really believed she was going home on Taylor Swift night, and how she is thrilled to be in the semifinals. She explained, “I am going to do everything I can to pull off a perfect performance because I’m rooting for the underdog too.” The judges praised her growth since the beginning of the competition, but did point out a few errors. The dance earned the couple a 25 out of 30. 

Mraz and Karagach started off the second round of dancing with their Paso Doble to “Diablo Rojo” by Rodrigo y Gabriela. With only one dance separating him from competing in the finale, Mraz shared, “the pressure is on and I’ve gotta deliver something amazing.” The couple did just that! Judge Carrie Ann Inaba explained she was “looking for magic” and said “that dance was magic.” The couple earned a perfect score. 

Gomez and Chmerkovskiy were next with their Waltz to “La Vie en Rose” by Lady Gaga. Gomez explained that with this dance she wanted to show a different side of herself. The actress did just that, even moving the judges to tears. Judge Derek Hough shared, “Len would’ve loved that dance, that was absolutely perfect.” The routine earned a perfect score.

Lawson and Chigvintsev danced next with their Quickstep to “BO$$” by Fifth Harmony. Lawson shared her goals for nailing her Quickstep routine. The judges praised the routine and the couple’s hard work paid off after they earned their first perfect score of the season.

Next up, Hannigan and Farber danced a Waltz to “Come Away With Me” by Norah Jones. In her package, Hannigan shared, “I just kept showing up and doing the work, so it would mean the world to me to make it into the finale.” After the beautiful routine, the judges praised Hannigan for her best dance, but did point out some mistakes. The routine earned the couple 26 points. 

Madix and Pashkov had the last dance of the night before the elimination. The couple danced a Foxtrot to “Trampoline” by Shaed & Zayn. In her package, Madix shared that she was still experiencing some back pain, but she shared that the pain wouldn’t stop her. And it didn’t! The routine earned the couple their first perfect score. 

It was then time for the most shocking elimination of the season – which ended in an unexpected twist. Co-hosts Alfonso Ribeiro and Julianne Hough first revealed that Hannigan and Farber, Mraz and Karagach, and Lawson and Chigvintsev were making it to the finale. This meant that Madix and Pashkov and Gomez and Chmerkovskiy were the bottom two couples. (This alone was shocking because they’ve been the highest scoring couples all season!) After a tense wait, it was then revealed that no one was going home. For the first time in DWTS history, five couples will be competing for the mirrorball trophy!

As the competition enters the final stretch, the finale episode – which premieres Tuesday, December 5th – will crown the DWTS season 32 winners! With five couples competing in the finale, this fight for the mirrorball will be intense! Tune in tonight to find out the champions! 

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.