This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Dancing With The Stars season 32 is here! Our favorite show is back and there’s a lot to catch up on.

The pre-season had a chaotic start – right up until days before the show’s premiere on Tuesday, September 26, 2023, due to the ongoing SAG-AFTRA and writer’s strikes. The Writers Guild of America (WGA) considered DWTS a struck show, making fans believe the season premiere would end up being delayed. In the midst of the confusion, one of this season’s contestants, comedian Matt Walsh, briefly stepped away from the show in support of the WGA strike. Fortunately, the writer’s union reached a deal prior to Tuesday’s premiere (with the strike officially ending on September 27), allowing Walsh to hit the dance floor with his partner Koko Iwasaki.  

In more pre-show excitement, the show is back to being broadcasted on ABC this season after Season 31 streamed exclusively on Disney Plus. This season will also be simultaneously streaming live on Disney Plus. Actor and DWTS season 19 winner Alfonso Riberio returns as host, alongside a new co-host and DWTS veteran, Julianne Hough. Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli, and Derek Hough are back in the ballroom as judges. 

This season includes a wide range of stars including actresses Xochitl Gomez and Jamie Lynn Spears, Vanderpump Rules star Ariana Madix, Grammy-winning singer Jason Mraz, Bachelorette star Charity Lawson, and social media personalities Lele Pons and Harry Jowsey, among others. 

Tuesday’s premiere opened with this season’s pros – and co-hosts – dancing to Dua Lipa’s “Levitating.” Tuesday night’s show was also the first since the passing of iconic DWTS judge Len Goodman. As tribute to the late judge, the coveted mirrorball trophy was renamed the “Len Goodman Mirrorball Trophy.” Additionally, there will be a night later in the season dedicated to him.

The youngest contestant this season, 17-year-old Marvel actress Xochitl Gomez, and her partner Val Chmerkovskiy opened the show with their Cha-Cha to “Peanut Butter Jelly” by Galantis, which earned them an 18 out of 30 possible points from the judges. Next up was The Brady Bunch star – and oldest contestant this season – Barry Williams whose Foxtrot with his partner Peta Murgatroyd pleasantly surprised the audience. Williams has had competing on the show on his bucket list for 17 seasons. His long-time friend – and season 9 champion – Donny Osmond, is the oldest DWTS winner and Williams shared he hopes he can follow in Osmond’s footsteps.

Model Tyson Beckford and his partner Jenna Johnson danced a Cha Cha which earned them 12 out of 30, and ultimately made them one of the three couples at the bottom of the leaderboard. Next up, How I Met Your Mother star Alyson Hannigan performed a Salsa with her partner Sasha Farber which earned them a 13 out of 30. 

Social media personality and Too Hot To Handle star Harry Jowsey danced a Cha Cha with his partner Rylee Arnold to “Rock Your Body” by Justin Timberlake, also earning a 12 out of 30. Arnold is the youngest pro this season at 18 years old – and is the younger sister of DWTS veteranLindsay Arnold. 

Grammy winner Jason Mraz and his partner Daniella Karagach also danced a Cha Cha to his own song “I Feel Like Dancing.” The performance scored a 21 out of 30, landing them in second place on the leaderboard. Jamie Lynn Spears and her partner Alan Bersten danced a Tango to “Don’t Call Me Up” by Mabel, scoring 15 out of 30. Football star Adrian Peterson and Britt Stewart earned an 18 out of 30 for their Salsa to “Yeah!” by Usher ft. Lil Jon & Ludacris.

Social media star Lele Pons and her partner Brandon Armstrong scored a 19 out of 30 and got third place for the night for their Tango to “El Tango De Roxanne” from Moulin Rouge. Academy-award winner Mira Sorvino and Gleb Savchenko danced a Cha Cha to “Kiss” by Prince & The Revolution and earned a 17 out of 30. Real estate broker and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills husband Mauricio Umansky and his partner Emma Slater danced a Jive to “I Ain’t Worried” by OneRepublic, scoring a 15 out of 30.

Bachelorette star Charity Lawson earned the highest score of the night, a 22 out of 30, with her partner Artem Chigvintsev for their Tango to “Only Girl (In the World)” by Rihanna. Their dance also earned them the first “8” of the season from DWTS judge Tonioli.

Comedian Walsh and Iwasaki danced their Cha Cha to “Poison” by Bell Biv DeVoe. Their dance led them to a three-way tie at the bottom of the leaderboard with Jowsey and Arnold and Beckord and Johnson.

Vanderpump Rules star Ariana Madix and her partner Pasha Pashkov closed out the show with their Tango to “Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfeld, placing the duo in a tie for second place with Mraz and Karagach.

After a fun premiere night, it was time to unfortunately send a couple home. Elimination intensity will be high this season since there will be no judge’s save option. Therefore, fans’ votes are more important than seasons’ past. This week, the viewers’ votes determined that Walsh and Iwasaki were the first couple to say farewell.

Night two, which premieres Tuesday, October 3, will be Latin night. We can’t wait to see the stars hit the dance floor again this week!

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.