Dancing With The Stars Music Video Night Recap!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Tuesday, November 7 was Music Video Night on DWTS! The remaining eight couples danced a routine inspired by some of the most iconic music videos over the years. Tuesday’s show included a special guest at the judge’s table – singer and dancer Paula Abdul. Additionally, DWTS’ iconic team dances were back for the first time this season. With both a guest judge and team dances this week, the couples were able to earn up to 80 points. Tuesday’s scores had a 10-point gap between the lowest to highest couples, with points ranging from 64 to 74. 

Social media personality Lele Pons and her partner Brandon Armstrong opened the show with their Salsa to “Whenever, Wherever” by Shakira. After the dance, the judges praised her ‘Shakira-like’ routine and gave her 33 out of 40 points. 

Vanderpump Rules reality star Ariana Madix and her partner Pasha Pashkov were up next with their Cha Cha to “I’m A Slave 4 U” by Britney Spears. The couple paid homage to the original music video perfectly, and Madix even looked identical to Britney. The routine earned the couple 37 points, and landed them atop the leaderboard.

Too Hot To Handle star Harry Jowsey and Rylee Arnold danced next with a Jazz to “It’s Gonna Be Me” by *NSYNC. During rehearsals Jowsey and Arnold were visited by a special guest – *NSYNC member Lance Bass. Bass advised Jowsey to not overthink the routine, own his confidence, and connect with the crowd. Despite Bass’ advice, the judges had a bit of constructive criticism on the routine. Judge Carrie Ann Inaba encouraged Jowsey to “commit from the moment you walk on stage.” The routine earned them four “6s” and a total of 24 points – making them the couple at the bottom of the leaderboard once again.

Next up, Grammy winner Jason Mraz and his partner Daniella Karagach danced a Jazz to “Take On Me” by A-ha. Mraz was highly determined this week, sharing, “I’m working as hard as I can so with this week’s performance, I can prove for once and for all that I can dance in my music videos.” Despite his best efforts, the judges had (unfair) split opinions on his performance. Inaba explained she’s “a bit underwhelmed by the performance you’ve been giving.” Despite the critiques, the couple earned 35 points. 

Actress Alyson Hannigan then danced a Quickstep with her partner Sasha Farber to “Candyman” by Christina Aguilera. The routine, which was easily Hannigan’s best dance the whole season, earned great reviews from the judges who all agreed it was “magical.” The routine earned the couple 33 points.

Next up, actress Xochitl Gomez and her partner Val Chmerkovskiy danced a Jazz to “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani. Gomez put her all into the dance, even when she encountered a minor wardrobe malfunction. Judge Derek Hough did note that there was a “disconnect” after the mishap. Despite the obstacle, the couple still earned four “9s” tying them atop the leaderboard with Madix and Pashkov. 

Bachelorette star Charity Lawson and her partner Artem Chigvintsev danced next with their Jazz to “All For You” by Janet Jackson. When the dance was over, the judges had some critiques for Lawson. Inaba explained that she “didn’t buy it,” and Hough added that he is “looking for more energy.” Despite the comments, the routine still earned the couple 32 points. 

The Brady Bunch star Barry Williams and his partner Peta Murgatroyd had the last dance of the night before the team dances. The couple performed a Quickstep to “I’m Still Standing” by Elton John – which is a music video judge Bruno Tonioli was a backup dancer in. The judges commended the joy Williams brings to the dance floor, and Tonioli added, “A few mistakes but your performances are always there for us to enjoy.” The routine unfortunately only earned the couple 28 points. 

It was now time for the team dances – a segment that gave couples the chance to earn 40 additional points. The honor of team captains were reserved for Jowsey and Hannigan who had the lowest scores on last week’s leaderboard. After personally choosing their teams, both teams got to work!

Team Young’n Style, led by Jowsey, included his partner Rylee Arnold, Pons and Armstrong, Gomez and Chmerkovskiy, and Lawson and Chigvintsev. The team danced to “Gangnam Style” by PSY. The dance led to an ecstatic Hough jumping over the judge’s table to hug Jowsey. Hough added, “You’re not a soloist, you’re a team player, man!” The dance earned the group a perfect score of 40, making it the first perfect score of the season. Each couple then got 40 points added to their individual scores.

Team 4 Everybody was next, led by Hannigan, including her partner Sasha Farber, Mraz and Karagach, Madix and Pashkov, and Williams and Murgatroyd. The team danced to “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” by the Backstreet Boys. In rehearsals, the team were given a surprise visit from Backstreet Boys member and DWTS season 29 competitor, AJ McLean. After the dance, Inaba praised Hannigan for being the team’s “MVP,” but explained that there wasn’t as much unity in the routine as the other team’s dance. The routine earned the group a 37 out of 40, which was added to each couple’s individual score.

It was now time for the most shocking elimination of the season. Surprisingly, Lawson and Chigvintsev, Pons and Armstrong, and Williams and Murgatroyd found themselves as the bottom three based on viewers’ votes. It was then revealed that Pons and Armstrong had been unexpectedly eliminated.

A new episode of DWTS will premiere on Tuesday, November 14 – and it will be Whitney Houston night! The competition is getting harder – let’s see what the remaining seven couples can bring to the dance floor!

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.