A Collegiette’s Guide to New York Comic Con

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

New York City is one of those lucky places that gets to celebrate Halloween twice during the month of October. There’s the holiday itself, and just a few weeks before, there’s New York Comic Con. The 4-day-long pop culture extravaganza has exploded in recent years to the point in which the massive event completely sells out weeks before it takes place.
While the more prominent San Diego Comic Con is still a hotspot for A-listers speaking at blockbuster panels, its New York counterpart is gaining hype, and even better, it’s right in our own backyard. This year’s gathering happened last weekend (October 11 through the 14) at Javits Center in Manhattan, but here’s what you need to know to navigate your next Con, stress-free:

‘Cosplay’ is King

You’ll be star struck by all of the superheroes walking around. If you really want to experience Comic Con, my number one suggestion is that you dress up. Pick any figure in the pop culture universe and start crafting your costume months in advance! The most intricate and clever cosplayers are the ones that get the most media attention. Even if that doesn’t interest you, I still highly suggest donning a costume because it’s great fun, and what’s better than walking around New York City afterwards dressed like a zombie Alice in Wonderland?

Buyer Beware

Be wary of the merchandise you can buy anywhere. The show floor is one huge shopping center, and every booth is like a little store. If you’re eager to purchase a graphic novel, maybe you can opt out of purchasing a well-known Marvel or DC title, and patronize some of the independent or self-publishing authors instead. Most of the time the creator is right there at the booth, and you can talk to them about their work. There’s also a boon of independent video game companies there that develop their own iPad apps for event goers to test out. It’s great to see something that may slip under the radar from all of the other gaming hysteria.

Patience is a Virtue

Get ready to wait in line. A lot. One factor you will not want to overlook at Comic Con is that the entire venue is crowded. Sadly, waiting in line or being scrunched up next to people in a confused mob on the show floor is pretty unavoidable. To minimize your inevitable frustration, get to the Con early, bring a water bottle and snacks, and try to do the high-populated activities first (like the not-yet-released video games) while the crowd is still filing in. If you want to be super-efficient, check out the website (www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Whos-Coming/) to see all the exhibitors, companies, and special guests so you’ll know what to look for, and when to get there.

Prioritize Your Playtime

Feeling ambitious? Maybe one comic-filled day isn’t enough for you. Figure out what your priorities are. If you NEED to meet Tom Felton or go to that panel about the new season of Adventure Time, you’d better camp out in line to get your chance. (Of course, you could get lucky and just run into a celebrity while you’re walking around!) This is where having a 3-or-4-day pass comes in handy. If you dedicate only one day of your weekend to going to panels, or for meeting celebrities, you don’t need to burn yourself out trying to see everything on the show floor on top of that. Also, it’s usually less expensive to buy a 3-day pass than it is to buy separate Friday and Saturday passes, so clear the weekend of your next Con and check out everything they have to offer.  

Forget live-tweeting and Instagram-ing. Take your pictures, but post them later! Take in the experience while it’s happening, why don’t you? Plus, the Javits Convention Center doesn’t have great internet coverage, so spare your phone batteries.

To get the most out of New York Comic Con, there is definitely some advance costume-making and planning involved. But even if you just want to check it out in civilian garb, and let the event totally take you by surprise, it is just as exhilarating. So why not give in to the hype? Over 100,000 fanboys-and-girls can’t be wrong.

For information on next year’s NYCC, visit their website, www.newyorkcomiccon.com. 

Melanie is from Killingworth, Connecticut and graduated from Hofstra University with a B.A. in Broadcast Journalism in 2012. She is currently an eCommerce Assistant at Hearst Digital Media in NYC. In her spare time, Melanie blogs, reads, and intensely discusses cinema with anyone who will listen.