sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The College Girls Guide to Working in Retail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

You’ve found yourself at a standstill. You’re shelling out money for textbooks, updating your wardrobe, encouraging your alcohol dependence, and of course constantly spending money on food, while simultaneously complaining I’m a broke college student. And while it’s so fun to complain about the lack of money in your bank account, you’re tired of feeling guilty every time you swipe the plastic. You can’t ask your parents for money every day month because you’re “independent” and “on your own now” whatever that’s about. So it’s time you admitted it, you need to find yourself a job.

All the convenient jobs on campus are already taken, and being a tutor is not an option since you’re more likely in need of one. Your best bet is to look toward the mall at a retail job. Sure, we’ve all heard that working in retail sucks and is rough, but no job is perfect and for an in between job while in college, it’s actually pretty nice. You just need to have the right mental mindset, and be prepared.

As a college girl that has worked in retail for quite some time now, I have my fair share of knowledge, and it is my pleasure to educate the retail newbies on what retail is all about and how to handle this new life step.

Retail Tip #1

Don’t sweat the small stuff

When you’re hired as an associate at any retail location, you are at the bottom of the retail pyramid. Under the supervisors, specialists, managers, and way way waaay under corporate. So it’s likely you’ll be asked to do some of the inconvenient [dirty?] work. In other words, you need to take that customer return, you need to dust the fitting rooms, you need to refill the soap in the bathroom, and you need to do it all with a smile. Now, feeling like the store’s slave might get you down, but don’t let these pesky details throw you off. You are still a valued employee, just wait until a different new girl comes in and you’ll be handing her the duster in no time.

Retail Tip #2

Think positive

The best and worst thing about retail is the customer. Some are lively and sweet, and so fun! But others, well…others come in to literally start fights with the store, threaten to call corporate time and time again, rush you on the register, scream at you for the prices, and make your life miserable. I see countless irritating customers almost everyday, and although my first instinct is to roll up my sleeves and ask my friend to hold my earrings, I take a deep breath and walk away. I go on with my day and do not let those people get the best of me.

This aspect of retail can make employees ready to give their two weeks after just the first day, but don’t let it. Think positive, and remember all the good in your job.

Positives:

1.     You have fun at times meeting new people, feeling busy, and doing something productive with your day.

2.     The discount.

3.     You are getting paid.

Never forget the Number 3, after all, this is what you came here for, and letting those irritating customers win only leaves you bitter and broke.

Retail Tip #3

Make friends at your job

Having a group of friends makes working feel a lot less like work. You now have something else to look forward to everyday you go in and people to vent with about the customers or managers. Your days won’t feel as long and they understand the #struggle of that store. Plus you’ll always have people to check in with when you need a favor like a cover for a shift, or to get the run down on that weeks work drama.

Retail Tip #4

Remember: This is a college job, not your career

It’s easy for your managers to love you so much that they put a lot of pressure on you at work. And while putting in the extra effort and doing well for your store is important, it’s also important to put this job in perspective. Do not let the pressure of a manager make you feel bad and put your schoolwork or yourself last. This is still just a job, not your career. So keep it in line and work hard, but not too hard. It’s nice to feel valued, and if becoming a manager, and making your way into corporate, becomes your life path, then great, but let that be your decision.

The long shifts and aggravating customers can make working in retail a dreadful experience, but you definitely come out learning a lot. And for the time being, it’s really not so bad. You learn how to deal with people, and you learn a thing or two about yourself. It’s something to help increase the number in your bank account. Or at least help you afford alcohol for this weekend. 

Dena is a Journalism major with a Psychology minor at Hofstra University. She has a passion for writing and all things that sparkle. You can find her reorganizing her room for the umpteenth time, crafting, making montages of her cats, and finishing a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Her unhealthy shopping addiction and love/hate relationship with Pinterest keep life interesting. Follow her on twitter @denarachel
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.