Christine Brazeau ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Some people are just meant to do good.  Christine Brazeau, a junior and Public Relations and Global Studies double major, found her calling on campus as president of the university’s chapter of She’s the First.  

She’s the First is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting girls’ education. They will be holding their third annual Dance-A-Thon on March 7th   at Hofstra USA!

What made you choose Hofstra?

Honestly, I had a hard time choosing where I was going to go to school. I ended up coming to visit Hofstra a second time and when I saw the campus I was in shock, because the first time it was raining, so I didn’t enjoy it then. But when I really saw it, I just loved it.  I thought the people I saw around me seemed like people I wanted to be around. They looked very motivated. Plus, we’re right by the city and I want to move there after I graduate.

What are you involved in on campus?

I am the president of She’s the First Hofstra, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising money for girls’ education in developing nations and then I’m also on the administrative board at WRHU. I hold the PR director position there.

What was it about She’s the First that captured your attention?

Honestly, the tie-dye cupcakes. I saw them during Welcome Week. Chelsea Tirrell, who was the old president of She’s the First, was handing out the cupcakes during one of the freshman fairs. I went and I saw them and I thought “this looks cool, I want a cupcake.” Then I saw what the organization was about and I realized how lucky we are to have what we have here at Hofstra and I just felt so blessed that I can get an education like this and so many girls don’t have that opportunity, most of the time just because they are a girl. I just felt like I had to give back in some way.

What’s been your most meaningful experience with She’s the First?

IT was probably last year raising $2,600 at the Dance-A-Thon. It was the first Dance-A-Thon that I had been really involved in since I was president-elect at the point. I was running around all night adding up totals and figuring it all out and as soon as we passed our $1,500 goal I was in shock. And then we climbed that and made over $1,000 more. That was really incredible for me to kind of watch and feel that I was a part of that. That was really meaningful to me.

Have you done any internships?

Yes, I actually interned with STF last semester. Their national headquarters are in New York City. I was their kind of do-it-all intern. I did a lot of different stuff with them.

What kind of advice do you have for someone who wants to get involved on campus?

Just get involved. If you really want to, I suggest going to those fairs they give in the beginning of the semester. She’s the First has been at all of them. Just reach out to whoever. I’m always on my email so if people want to email me and get involved in my club they absolutely can. And just going to meetings. Finding your niche is the most important thing because it’s what’s going to give you a life on campus.

Is there anything you wish you could’ve done on campus?

I think I’m really content with everything I’ve gone and done here. I’ve had the opportunity to be the president and also have a position that’s not as demanding at the radio station and be a part of that communications side of my major. I think I’ve done pretty much everything I’ve wanted to so far.

What’s the best advice you’ve received from anyone here at Hofstra?

Honestly, the most important and valuable advice to me has been just to get involved. And that’s something that everybody has told me, even before I came to the university. It took me a while to actually get involved and listen to that advice, but the fact that I’ve really taken it to heart has completely changed my experience at Hofstra.

What are your plans for after graduation?

Hopefully move to the city or I’d like to move to California because I hate the snow. I really want to move to a big city somewhere. I’d really like to work in corporate social responsibilities doing essentially non-profit work for companies or even just work PR for a non-profit. I just believe so much in giving back to others.

Brianna is a proud Long Islander finishing her graduate journalism degree here at Hofstra. The East Meadow native wears many hats on campus, including Assistant News Director at WRHU, Grad Assistant at the Center for Civic Engagement and of course Treasurer here at Her Campus Hofstra! Brianna is currently interning at Fox News. But until she can go set the journalism world on fire, she’ll just have to settle for planning adventures abroad, binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and commiserating about her beloved New York Jets. Follow her on Twitter at @BriannaBorresen!