This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

New York is known for its energy and iconic landmarks that transform into a winter wonderland during the holidays. From the world-famous Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, to celebrations straight out of the 1800s, New York offers unique and captivating holiday experiences. The timeless traditions and lit up streets make celebrating the holidays in New York unforgettable. Both New York City and Long Island are ready to celebrate, so here are just a few of the many ways to experience New York during the holidays.

Bryant Park

Nothing feels more like the holidays than New York City, so where else to start but the Holiday Market in Bryant Park. The market has become popular over the years for its variety of vendors, such as jewelry, food and drinks, health and beauty, and artwork. Besides the shops, Bryant Park also offers the Winter Village ice skating rink that is open from 7am to 10pm until early March. If you need to buy gifts for family and friends, or just want to spend a day full of winter activities, Bryant Park is the place to go.

Rockefeller Center

Continuing with the celebrations in New York City, Rockefeller center has many activities that all surround the iconic tree. There is a variety of food, coffee and treats nearby, but one of the most well known and classic aspects of Rockefeller Center is the ice skating rink where you can skate right under the tree. Beginning November 24th, Santa will be be making appearances with professional photo opps for families. Make sure to take a look at the tree when it is all lit up at night to get the full holiday experience.

New York Botanical Garden

The New York Botanical Garden offers many holiday events. The garden creates unique holiday displays that make walking through the already beautiful garden even better. Some of the many events offered is their “most beloved holiday tradition” train show, the Outdoor Color and Light Experience and Dining at the Garden. From walking around and enjoying christmas lights with your family, to a night of dinner and drinks, the New York Botanical Garden is a must visit during the holidays.

Jones Beach Holiday Light Show

From now until December 30th, Jones Beach is once again celebrating the holidays with its Magic of Lights show. The experience allows people to drive through holiday lights right along the beach. The show features well known holiday scenes and characters using LED and digital technology. After driving through the show, people are invited to stop by the Holiday Village, where there will be food and drink offered in Santa’s workshop. The drive through experience is the perfect activity for families and friends to kick off the season.

Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Every season, the Old Bethpage Village Restoration has different events that take you back to the 1800s. From December 21st to the 23rd and again from December 26th to the 29th, the restoration transforms into a holiday town, hosting a candlelight experience. This December holiday tradition lasts from 5pm to 9:30pm, and is available for all ages. Experience a 19th century holiday season with an 1866 christmas tree, a brass quartet, fiddle music, traditional bonfire with apple cider, Civil War era christmas songs and contra dancing.

Samantha Litt

Hofstra '25

Samantha is a junior at Hofstra University. She is majoring in public relations, and has minors in film and creative writing. She is interested in everything related to music, writing and the entertainment industry.