jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Celeb Spot: Noah Cyrus’ Road to “Good Cry”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Noah Cyrus released her debut EP Good Cry on Friday, Sept. 21. This long-awaited record came a year and a half after she released her first single “Make me (Cry)” with Labrynth in late 2016.

It was not an easy road to releasing this music for the youngest daughter of Billy Ray. She originally planned on publishing her debut EP in fall of 2017, titled NC-17. That year, she kept released a slew of edgy new tunes and booked performances such as a slot at the MTV Movie & TV Awards and on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

Despite her excitement surrounding the upcoming album, Cyrus kept pushing the release date back. When the original time frame came about, Cyrus said in an interview with Z100 that she still had no idea when her album would be released. She added that the tracks were not in order yet, and that she wants it to come out soon. However, by January of 2018, the album was still not available with no release date in sight. In an interview with ET Canada, she gushed that her upcoming album was like a “baby” and said she didn’t want to rush the album so it can come out just the way she wants it.

View this post on Instagram

Manhattan

A post shared by NC (@noahcyrus) on

In June of 2018, the now 18-year-old singer announced that NC-17 was no longer. She also was unaware if she would release an EP or a full album, but said music was on its way. By August of 2018, she was calling her project an EP.

Finally, Cyrus announced in early September that her EP, named Good Cry would debut the 21st of that month. This announcement came just days after a very public and emotional break up with rapper Lil Xan, a relationship that lasted approximately 3-months. Three days later, she dropped “Mad at You” with Gallant, first single from Good Cry.

Her EP has six fresh songs, but neglects to carry early singles such as “I’m Stuck” and “Again.” Her tour, which touts the same name as the album, started Sept. 22 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. 

Sara is a senior journalism student at Hofstra University who aspires to one day be on the red carpet giving you the latest on all things celebrity. She is a current NBC intern and co-host of her campus' news show, Hofstra Today. She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority and Zeta Phi Eta, the Pre-Professional Fraternity in the Arts and Sciences of Communications. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, traveling, attending live performances and making memories with her friends and dogs. Follow her on Instagram: @sara__whit and on Twitter: @Sara_Whitman. She also has a travel blog at www.sarawhitmanythoughts.wordpress.com