Celeb Spot: Everything You Might Have Missed this Weekend Because of “Thank U, Next”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It seems like Ariana Grande is everywhere this year.

First there was endless gossip about her whirlwind romance with SNL writer Pete Davidson. Her personal life then really struggled when her ex of nearly two years, Mac Miller, died of an overdose, followed by a sudden break of her engagement to Davidson. During this time, her new album Sweetener, which she dropped in August, soared, and fans were anxiously awaiting tour dates. Next came her record-breaking song “thank u, next,” which spoke about her past relationships, including her failed engagement to Davidson and deceased ex. To top it off, Grande released the successful “thank u, next” music video on Nov. 30, which broke the record for most viewed YouTube video in 24 hours.

The weekend was filled with “thank u, next” talk from fans and celebrities alike praising the video for its spot-on depiction of iconic movies Legally Blonde, 13 Going on 30, Mean Girls and Bring It On. It may have been easy to overlook all the other celebrity news while the “God is a Woman” singer took over everyone’s social media feed. Check out the celebrity news you might have overlooked this weekend.

Alessia Cara’s sophomore album

Canada native Alessia Cara released her second album The Pains of Growing on Nov. 30. This 15-song album features lead single “Growing Pains” as well as “Trust My Lonely.” Her debut Know It All album was released in 2015 and Cara then won Best New Artist at the 2018 Grammy Awards.

New music from Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson

The day before Grande gifted us with her new video, “Uptown Funk” producer and co-writer Mark Ronson released the video for his new single “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart,” which features Miley Cyrus. This is the first song under Ronson’s name since the success of Uptown Funk,” which won Record of the Year at the 2016 Grammy Awards. The video features Cyrus leading a high-speed chase in Nashville, passing fans holding “Miley for President” signs.

We may get a fourth child from the oldest Kardashian sister

In a sneak peek for the Dec. 2 Keeping Up episode, Kourtney Kardashian opened up about her mood swings caused by the hormone shots she’s taking to freeze her eggs. “I feel like I want to jump out of my skin. I’m so crazy, I can’t take it,” she said. There has been speculation that she and Scott Disick, who fathers her three children, may want to have another child together despite both of them being romantically involved in other relationships. However, Kourtney ended any talk of that in September.

Eminem freestyles

Eminem released an 11-minute freestyle video, in which he holds nothing back and name drops several celebrities. In the freestyle, titled “Kick Off,” the 46-year-old rapper mentions the terrorist attack at Ariana Grande’s Manchester concert, says Jada Pinkett is hot and mentioned that “Christina” has “massive” breasts. It is assumed Eminem is referring to Christina Aguilera, who he discussed in “The Real Slim Shady.” He also called out Justin Bieber, alluding that he sells drugs, and actress Reese Witherspoon, rapping that he would beat her to death with a broom.

This release comes after his surprise album Kamikaze, which he dropped in August. Eminem tweeted his new rap battle movie Bodied had him feeling nostalgic, so he went back to his “old stomping grounds.” The video was recorded at the shelter at St. Andrew’s Hall in Detroit, where many of his early rap battles took place.

There is a new Mrs. Jonas in town

In case you really could not do anything besides watch the “thank u, next” video all weekend, you might have ignored the fact that the youngest Jonas Brother, Nick Jonas, got married to Bollywood star Priyanka Chopra in India over the weekend. The two became engaged during the summer, shortly after their romance was publicly confirmed. A Christian ceremony was officiated by the “Levels” singer’s dad on Saturday, while a Hindu ceremony ensued Sunday. Chopra noted in an Instagram post that her and her now-husband’s relationship allowed a “merging of families who love and respect each other’s faiths and cultures.”

It was a huge weekend for celebrity news. From Ariana Grande’s epic new video to the second Jonas Brother being hitched, fans around the world were gifted an exciting, and for some, overwhelming, weekend of events. 

Sara is a senior journalism student at Hofstra University who aspires to one day be on the red carpet giving you the latest on all things celebrity. She is a current NBC intern and co-host of her campus' news show, Hofstra Today. She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority and Zeta Phi Eta, the Pre-Professional Fraternity in the Arts and Sciences of Communications. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, traveling, attending live performances and making memories with her friends and dogs. Follow her on Instagram: @sara__whit and on Twitter: @Sara_Whitman. She also has a travel blog at www.sarawhitmanythoughts.wordpress.com