Celeb Spot: Celebrities Who Supported March for Our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Hundreds of thousands demonstrators marched the streets of America on Saturday, advocating for gun control and pouring their hearts out in memory of the 17 students who were murdered at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, just over a month ago. Stars like Miley Cyrus, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Amy Poehler also joined the march, while others showed their support on social media.

The Washington, D.C. march was star and student-studded, as Parkland survivors presented masterful speeches with celebrity performances in between. The event kicked off with a collaboration between Grammy-nominated singer Andra Day and Baltimore’s Cardinal Sheehan School Choir’s performance of Day’s “Rise Up.”

Shortly after, Demi Lovato took the stage to sing her powerful song “Skyscraper,” ending with a hopeful “MSD Strong!” Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt gave an emotionally-motivated performance of their newly released song “Found/Tonight,” a mash-up of Hamilton‘s “The Story of Tonight” and Dear Evan Hansen‘s “You Will Be Found.” Later, Miley Cyrus, who had several members of her family with her, performed “The Climb” followed by Ariana Grande’s performance of “Be Alright.” Grande concluded by thanking the “brilliant” students leading the march. Jennifer Hudson wrapped up the march by giving a moving gospel rendition of Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are A-Changin’.”

A post shared by Demi Lovato (@ddlovato) on

George and Amal Clooney, who donated $500,000 to the event in the name of their eight-month old twins, marched alongside the demonstrators. Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw matched that amount.

Other stars who participated in the Washington march include Parks and Recreation cast mates Natalie Morales, Adam Scott, Aubrey Plaza and Paul Rudd. Kim and Kanye Kardashian West brought their first daughter, North, with them to Washington.

Meanwhile in New York, Paul McCartney stood in solidarity with New York City protestors in memory of deceased bandmate John Lennon, who was shot and killed in New York almost 40 years ago. Cynthia Nixon joined as well, who just announced she is running for Governor of New York last week.

Grammy award-winner Lady Gaga and author and actress Padma Lakshimi were also among the stars who joined in NYC. Gaga announced via Twitter that she would sponsor a bus from Harlem to the D.C. march that day.

Across the country, stars such as Charlie Puth, Kendall Jenner, Kaia Gerber, Olivia Wilde and Yara Shahidi supported the movement in Los Angeles. At an L.A. event, comedian and actress Amy Schumer pressed for tighter gun restrictions, saying that celebrities get criticized for supporting social and political causes, and she simply wants to “keep our children alive.” Schumer has been a gun control advocate since two women were shot to death at a screening of her film Trainwreck in 2015. She posted a moving photo on Instagram, summarizing her thoughts.

Countless stars such as Selena Gomez, Will Smith, Hilary Duff and Taylor Swift also posted on social media supporting the cause.

Regardless of how many celebrities supported the event, the real stars were the brave students who organized and marched for a cause about which they strongly believe. 

Cover photo courtesy of Unsplash.com

Sara is a senior journalism student at Hofstra University who aspires to one day be on the red carpet giving you the latest on all things celebrity. She is a current NBC intern and co-host of her campus' news show, Hofstra Today. She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority and Zeta Phi Eta, the Pre-Professional Fraternity in the Arts and Sciences of Communications. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, traveling, attending live performances and making memories with her friends and dogs. Follow her on Instagram: @sara__whit and on Twitter: @Sara_Whitman. She also has a travel blog at www.sarawhitmanythoughts.wordpress.com