Campus Paparazzi: Meeting the Queen, Sophia Bush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

A selfie, a tweet, a snapchat story, news articles and an overall unbelievable experience. I think it’s safe to say it was an honor to meet Sophia Bush. For those of you who don’t know – or if you live under a rock – Sophia Bush is a 34-year-old actress from Pasadena, CA. She has acted in numerous movies and television shows including the popular television series Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D. and One Tree Hill.  

It all started on an uneventful Friday evening at the airport. As I was standing in the terminal, I saw something very familiar to my eye. Believe it or not, this ‘familiar’ thing was a cheekbone, Sophia Bush’s cheekbone to be exact. I had a feeling it was her from that very moment. She walked outside the terminal and I had to go check and see if it was her or not. I didn’t want to be creepy, so I waited about 10 or so seconds for her to get out of the terminal and then I began to follow her. She had a hat on so I wasn’t completely sure it was her. I used my lanky legs to walk in front of her. When I saw her full face, I was completely star struck. THE Sophia Bush was standing less than 5 feet from me.

My palms started sweating and my mouth got extremely dry from the nerves building up from just thinking about going up to her. I wanted to be nice and totally not creepy so as she was standing there on the phone, patiently waiting for her Uber to pick her up, I finally gathered up enough courage to speak to her. I went up to her, and this is how it went…

“Hi, excuse me?”

Not seeing that she was on the phone, she replied: “Yes, one second.”

This so-called “one second” felt like a thousand years. I felt like I was going to faint at any moment and then she spoke to me again.

“Hi, sweetie, what’s up?” she asked me.

So I replied, “This might be so weird, but are you Sophia Bush?” You should have seen her smile when she told me that she was, in fact, Sophia Bush.

She must have been so happy to see a fan. At this point, I asked her if we could take some selfies and she was a sweetheart and said: “Of course!”

Even with my nervously shaky hands, I was able to get a good quality selfie. After this, we exchanged our goodbyes and I told her I love her so much.

Right about now, you are probably thinking this “unbelievable experience” I was talking about is over, but let me tell you, that was only the beginning. Shortly after meeting her, I tweeted our picture with the caption, “I just ran into Sophia Bush at the airport today! It was so great meeting you!”

As I was leaving the airport, I got a notification on my phone that Sophia Bush has mentioned me in a tweet. She replied back to me saying “Nice to meet you! Thanks for being so sweet.”

You could imagine my excitement right at that point. Sophia Bush said it was nice to meet me and that I was so sweet. WHAT?! I was literally hyperventilating when I got the notification.

What I didn’t know was Sophia actually had a horrible experience on her plane ride right before we met. Right before she tweeted me, she tweeted a screenshot of her notes from her phone explaining what happened on the plane. Some guy on the plane sitting near her made her uncomfortable and he justified it by saying it’s okay because he watches some of her shows. Obviously, that is NOT okay and Sophia had every right to speak up about it. This horrible interaction brought up buzz in the media. E! News, People Magazine and more were writing articles about her horrible experience and as I read the articles, I noticed a lot of them ended with her delightful experience with me. So now everyone, from her fans to magazine readers, knew I met Sophia. I was SHOOK.

Even after the whole magazine thing, the good news about Sophia and I was surprisingly still not over. The next day she did a Q&A on Snapchat so I thought I would tweet her a question. I tweeted her the photo of us with the caption “did you like meeting me the other day?”

Of course, I didn’t expect her to even see it, let alone answer it, but believe it or not, she did. I was just leisurely watching her Snapchat story and all of a sudden I heard her say my name. She replied to my question by saying “Yes, I did!”

She then went on to talk about her horrible experience on the plane and how I was the next man she ran into and how I was “so sweet.” She also mentioned that I rescued her night and she was thankful for that. In the following snapchat she called me “a good egg and a respectful man.”

That made me feel so amazing. I was so happy that I was able to make her happy even after she had that horrible experience on the plane.

All in all, Sophia Bush is a QUEENT and that’s all I gotta say.

Check out the Snapchat video

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.