Campus Celebrity: Gary Duff ‘14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

You’ve probably heard him on Hofstra’s Morning Wake Up Call on WRHU, or read his articles in The Chronicle or Long Island Report. Aside from being in the School of Communication during the week, Gary Duff juggles between classes, extracurriculars and an internship. All of that while working for Bloomberg Radio. Now he’s been published in the latest Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Power of Positive

Major/Minor: Public Relations/International Affairs

Why did you choose this major? 

I first juggled whether or not I had actually wanted to become a broadcast journalism major, but in the end I felt I had so many great mentors that could teach me what that field was about that I decided to spread myself a little thinner with a major and minor that could enhance my journalism background.

What are you involved in around campus?

I am a current Senator, and former Ethics & Conduct chair on the Student Government Association, as well as the Morning Show Producer for the campus radio station WRHU 88.7 FM.  I spent time writing for the university paper, The Chronicle, and online newspaper Long Island Report.

Have you done any internships or had any jobs related to your major?

I’m actually very excited about the prospect of working for CBS come the fall now that I know I’ve earned an internship with them.  Most of my experience in this field though, has come from job experience.  I’ve been able to garner some attention in the radio and TV industry working with the legendary talk show host, Joe Franklin, at Bloomberg radio, booking guests and briefing him and other producers weekly.  

I also work on a freelance basis with a company called, Plycon Transportation Group, where I have copy-written several national ads, coordinated events, provided strategic advice to key executives, and helped cultivate a strong corporate culture within their family run business. I’ve always been successful working in a project manager role, and love building some of those core branding messages that catch the eye whether it’s for myself or a company.

You’ve interviewed several public figures/celebrities throughout your time here at Hofstra. Tell us about some of the people you have interviewed and how this has helped your career.

Hofstra has given me so much in terms of creating a brand for myself, and certainly a platform to express ideas and highlight discussions with many of the special interviewees I have sat down with.  I’ll never forget how nervous I was when Paula Deen, Hoda Kotb, Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York, or Elie Wiesel accepted an invitation (and Wiesel did 3 more times after that) to chat.  Once I started getting bigger news makers to join me, I was able to leverage that into discussions with then Senator John Kerry, who is now the new Secretary of State, or former Presidential candidate and Ambassador to China, Jon Huntsman.

Do you have any tips on how you have been able to interview so many people?

Walter Cronkite said it to Connie Chung, and Connie Chung said it to me, “Just be yourself.” People will pick up when you are acting out of character.  The listener is smart.  They deserve a real person to ask questions that matter to them.

In terms of getting the interview you have wanted to get, the best thing you can do is network, and be able to communicate your reasoning clear enough and in a way that the person receiving it can understand why you are the one who should get this interview.  When someone sits down with you to talk there is an understanding that you and that person are on the same level– a mutual recognition in them accepting to talk with you.  It takes time to build that respect, but it definitely pays off at the end of the day.

Lastly, you were recently featured in Chicken Soup for the Soul, tell us briefly on how you were able to be published through this. What was the process like?

Amy Newmark, who is the publisher of Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Power of Positive, came on my program to talk about a previous version the book that was coming out.  Like every interviewer knows there’s a large amount of research we do to prepare questions for all our guests– in this case Amy had done some research on me, and after the interview was over mentioned writing for the series.  She was impressed with all the people who had been on my show, and what I had already accomplished as a journalist. I went through the same submission process that the other writer did to get in the book, and thankfully my story made the cut.