Campus Celebrity: Elizabeth Sarian ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

For most of us, the end of the semester means presenting a group project or two and handing in a research paper. But for senior Elizabeth Sarian, it means performing for the masses! Elizabeth is a vocal performance major and English minor that lights up the stage as an opera singer and as a member of the all-female acapella group, Makin Treble. Aca-awesome!

You really have a wide range of vocal skills; you can even sing opera! Why did you choose to sing opera?

I would say I am more of a classical singer than opera singer, but I sing both. There honestly wasn’t really a moment when I decided, “I am going to sing opera!” After my teachers heard me singing musical theater pieces, they advised me to start learning some of the Classical Italian repertoire, which turned into singing bigger things like opera.

Are you involved in any other musical groups/productions on campus? If so, what are they?

I am involved in the Hofstra Chorale and Chamber Choir under the direction of Dr. David Fryling. I am also in a program called Opera Scenes, where we are assigned an opera scene to perform at the end of each semester. Outside of the department I am in Hofstra’s only all-female acapella group, Makin Treble.

You had your junior recital recently. How did it feel to be on stage performing for a large crowd?

My junior recital was a fantastic experience. There was so much hard work put into it, and in the end it was all so worth it. I love being on the stage and performing, but being up there is definitely something that I am still getting used to…because let’s face it, it’s scary and nerve racking. It is comparable to when you have to give a speech or presentation in front of a large group of people. At the end of my recital, I was amazed at how many people came and really enjoyed the performance that me and my recital partner, Elisa, gave. It is so rewarding to have someone come up to you and say that they were moved by your performance or a particular song – it’s really indescribable.

Do have any pre-performance rituals?

I don’t have any pre-performance rituals – yet, that is. Although I make sure to have plenty of water with me, and try to stay as relaxed as possible. This includes stretching and having a productive, easy warm-up.

Do you have a favorite piece to perform?

I have several favorite pieces to perform, but my current favorite is Deep River arranged by H.T. Burleigh. It always moves me in some way, and feels different every time I sing it. It is also one of those pieces that some people are familiar with, and it’s always refreshing as an audience member to hear a piece you are familiar with.

How do you take such good care of your voice?

I try to take care of my voice by always drinking lots of fluids and not straining–yelling and speaking loudly over a crowd. My voice teacher is my go-to person when I need to check a vocal issue.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Gosh, I am not really sure where I will be in ten years, but I really hope to still be singing and developing my voice. It is what I love!

Do you have any advice for aspiring singers?

Believe in yourself, and remember that the only thing standing in between you and what you want to achieve is YOU!!

Brianna is a proud Long Islander finishing her graduate journalism degree here at Hofstra. The East Meadow native wears many hats on campus, including Assistant News Director at WRHU, Grad Assistant at the Center for Civic Engagement and of course Treasurer here at Her Campus Hofstra! Brianna is currently interning at Fox News. But until she can go set the journalism world on fire, she’ll just have to settle for planning adventures abroad, binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and commiserating about her beloved New York Jets. Follow her on Twitter at @BriannaBorresen!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!