Body Mod Blog: Talk With Tattooed Collegiate, Ricky Michiels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
Although it is easy to find Hofstra students who sport one or two small tattoos, the number of students who have dedicated their skin to big, bold, and beautiful tattoos is far and few between. Ricky Michiels, a member of the class of 2015, is one of the select students of Hofstra University who has made a statement with multiple eye catching tattoos and Her Campus got to find out the inked truth behind this photography major’s artwork. 

How long have you wanted to be tattooed?
RM: I can remember wanting a tattoo from the age of 16, I couldn’t wait to get my first one. 

When did you get your first tattoo?
RM: I got my first tattoo the day I turned 18, it’s my infinity sign on my wrist and I still love it.

What is your favorite style of tattooing?
RM: My favorite tattoo style is traditional. There is something so classic about the traditional style with a modern t
wist- which I love!

What has it been like shooting for magazines such as Bello and Nylon?
RM: It’s been great- such an amazing experience. I love meeting new people and talents to work with! 
Has the fashion industry inspired you to get any tattoos?
RM: Not so much, my tattoos have been more of a personal thing to me. I love some model’s tattoos but I wouldn’t say that the fashion industry has inspired me to get any tattoos.

Any crazy stories about being tattooed in college?
RM: My sophomore year of college I was living in Philadelphia and I let my roommate Nate (who was studying illustration and did tattooing on the side) tattoo a small anchor on my right hand. I loved it until it started to fade. Other than that nothing in particular comes to mind, although I do get stopped randomly on lines and the oddest pla
ces and get complimented on my tattoos, which I appreciate!

What are your thoughts on tattoos in the workplace?
RM: I am all for tattoos in the workplace.
Do you have a favorite tattoo and what are your tattoo plans for the future?
RM: My favorite tattoo is my elephant on my left shoulder, it’s a half sleeve. I love the color and how skillfully detailed it is. I plan on finishing my sleeve on my left arm and then take a break for a while. But knowing me that’s hard to do and it probably won’t last! 
Follow Ricky on Instagram to see more of his tattoos as well as his incredible photography portfolio https://instagram.com/rickymichiels/
or check out his website to see all of the crazy photography he has done http://www.rickymichiels.com/

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.