Body Mod Blog: Summer’s Hottest Colored Hair Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With classes coming to a close and the weather finally starting to warm up, summer is right behind the corner for students. As we say goodbye to our campuses, it is time to have some fun in the sun and what better a time than summer to try something totally new. Summer is all about having adventures and exploring, so why not explore a bold new color? Emilie Padnick, a hair stylist Karma Salon in East Northport NY, is here to tell readers what hues are on trend for the upcoming summer season.

“Pastels are really in right now,” says Padnick, an up and coming colored hair guru of the Long Island Area. “Cool tones are best, such as pastel teals, baby blue, lavender and Mint. I think that mixing different shades of cool toned pastels look really amazing,” Pastel hair is no new trend, with stars such as Katy Perry and Hillary Duff taking on the unorthodox colors. Yet as Padnick mentions, what makes each style unique is a variety of different shades. By adding conditioner to your dye you can dilute the color of your dye, creating different pastel tones to create depth. In addition to just changing the tones of colors, why not combine colors within the cool tone spectrum to add originality. Blue, green, and purple hair have been done on their own countless times, yet who is to say you can’t have multiple colors in your hair for a look that no one has ever seen before? Summer is the time to be adventurous and as college students, it is healthy to experiment with different looks before heading into the adult world. Of course it is vital to seek a professional for advanced color techniques, because hair stylists such as Padnick are trained and passionate about getting a cutting edge look.

Another colored hair trend that Padnick recommends is known as pearlescent, which is when natural hair is tinted ever so slightly with another color. Pearlescent colors work best on blonde hair as it takes the color well, but if you’re unsure about bleaching your whole head, try small sections instead. This style is perfect for those who want a new style but don’t want something too drastic, as the pearlescent hues are extremely faint and give just a small edge to an otherwise natural look.

An extremely important part of dying your hair unnatural colors is knowing how to take care of it, especially during the summer. Being in chlorinated pools, spending all day under the hot sun, and taking constant showers will affect the color that you worked hard to achieve, but no fear, there are ways to keep your color and still have a blast in the sun. In order to keep your color vibrant, use a color safe shampoo and put your demi permanent direct dyes into your conditioner. This way whenever you wash your hair you are adding back the color that constant showering can take away. Chlorine is extremely bad for both colored and natural hair, so if you plan to go poolside pick up a swimming shampoo (available on Amazon). If the ocean is more your scene, be wary of the sulfates found in seawater which can dry out your hair and use a hydrating shampoo. Having your hair exposed to the hot sunrays can also oxidize your color during the summer, but by adding color to your conditioner and using a heat protectant spray or color sealer, you can make your shades last just a bit longer. 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!