Body Mod Blog: Bringing Fashion to the Body Mods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Earlier this season, the designers of Paris, Milan, London, and of course New York debuted their ready-to-wear collections for the upcoming spring and summer seasons. These high-end looks are the basis of every approaching fashion period and every fashionista from LA to Hong Kong is ready to re-stock their wardrobes with the latest trends. But what about those in the body mod community, those who stray from convention and defy the mainstream? 2015 Fashion Week provided a plethora of trends and style motifs, and luckily enough; we can always count on designers to inspire the tattooed, pierced, and eccentrically dyed.

Alexander McQueen (Paris)

White Cutout Dress from Nasty Gal, Floral dress from TopShop

A seasoned pro in wowing season to season, Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen certainly impressed the fashion community yet again. With a flair for the eccentric and a diversion for the practiced classicism of many iconic fashion houses, McQueen is a perfect fashion example for any tattooed female with a passion for luxurious design.

This season, Burton found inspiration from the exotic country of Japan, playing with feminine botanicals but staying to her signature with edgy cutouts and provocative sheers. The juxtaposition of flirty girly girl and commanding vixen that Burton presents in her clothes fits perfectly with any tattooed or pierced female. Having tattoos and piercings can appear harsh at times yet by pairing it with delicate sheer fabrics, playful cutouts, and quirky florals; a woman can be classy with a cool and cutting edge. Sites such as NastyGal and Topshop offer feminine dresses with an edge, featuring styles which mimic the bold botanicals of McQueen and the sheer cutouts Burton has become iconic for.

Chloé (Paris)

Last two dresses from Forever21

Another trend that rocked the runway this season can be displayed through the delicate lace detailed frocks featured by Chloé. This classic Parisian brand is famous for minimalism with a French twist and this season proved to be no different. The three debuting looks of this collection featured delicate lace details, perfect for any tattooed girl looking to fem up her look and add innocent to her ink.

Lace is no new trend, yet to knock this look out of the park one needs to add a little bit of edge into the look. Adding an element of sheer lace adds decadence and can be paired with more relaxed accompaniments keeps your style from being ‘too sweet’. Mixing velvets and jewel tones, add a dark persuasion to an otherwise overdone ensemble, adding a 90s grunge twist to the look. Forever 21 provides price friendly alternatives to designer finds, allowing any collegiate runway-worthy couture.

Dries Van Noten (Paris)

Floral dress from Topshop, Kimono and sweater from Forever21

Sit back, throw on some Stevie and Dries Van Noten will have you believing that you’ve slipped back in time to the age of free love and gypsy style setting. For their ready-to-wear season, Dries Van Noten played it cool; envisioning a modern bohemian with touches of retro whimsy. Light boho patterns in luxuriously silks read of a 1960s down to earth cool, while the touches of bright 1970s patterns bring something new to the table.

This look is perfect for the body mod community because the lightweight styles and carefree prints emphasize the passion of ink of skin. This style fits a time of freedom of expression and a higher method of thought, and what better way to celebrate a movement of individuality but through tattoos. Again. Forever 21 offers affordable knock offs to fit a bohemian style, and lace shorts and a sheer floral kimono are perfect to wow in this look. Creamy and dreamy floral prints with modern touches of lace or sparkle also fit the style of Dries Van Noten, adding a glam edge to a hippie-dippie point of view.

Givency (Paris)

Givenchy brought back a very familiar archetype for the body modification community: The Tough Girl. This trend hits on all that is leather and laces, playing off both the medieval warrior character from entertainment personas found in Xena: Warrior Princess and Game of Thrones, as well as the rough and tough biker image of modern day rock stars. Tattoos and body modifications are very often thrown into this category of dominatrix BDSM attire, yet the chic fashion house, Givenchy, brings it all back with class and poise.

All Pieces from DollsKill

When aiming to perfect this look, black leather (preferably Vegan) is key. But in order to keep this look current, it is key to find unique ways to represent the leather and lace look. Characteristically eccentric retailer, DollsKill provide looks in leather with feminine quips of lace, such as booties with a girly fringe and a bomber jacket that no one else on your campus will possess. The looks from this retailer keep it cool, without heating up your wallet.

Jeremy Scott (New York)

Hailing from a place much closer to home, Jeremy Scott is not your average fashion designer.  Scott expels a creative expression reminiscent of what can be found in the most psychedelic of fantasies, his Spring/ Summer line offered an eclectic approach to what appeared to embody a drug-induced hallucination. With trippy patterns, kaleidoscope colors, and the energy of a Phish concert; his collection sets the tone for those wishing to make a bold and unique statement with their wardrobe.

All pieces from DollsKill

This psychedelic style is perfect for those with body mods, because the chimerical influence confronts what is normal, much like having tattoos and colorful hair. The tricked out ensembles found on DollsKill exactly mimic the look that Jeremy Scott was going for, and on a much cheaper budget.  Holographic materials create prismatic rainbows when your toes step inside the Aura boot from DollsKill, a shoe that literally has you walking amongst the stars. Third-Eye conscious fashionistas will flock to the drippy rainbow patterns of this Lisa Frank inspired mini and an LED fur coat is sure to light up any party. So rave on and ink up with these kaleidoscopic pieces.  

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!