This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Living on Long Island right outside of New York City is arguably better than winning the lottery. Besides the unique exposure to culture and and once in a lifetime experiences, there are so many amazing places to visit, and (my personal favorite) thousands of places to eat. Lucky for you, I have lived my whole life on this island, and I’ve scoped out the best spots for you and your buds to stop by and enjoy.

Photo by Mike Chavarri via Unsplash

Places Nearby

Girls Day Picnic Goals: Eisenhower Park

Do you ever just want to soak up the sunshine and fresh air rather than waiting for a table inside a crowded restaurant? Pack up your gingham tablecloth and mason jars and head to Eisenhower Park for a little picnic full of all the photo ops you can dream of. They also have a nice track that you can use to go for a run (or walk because let’s be realistic) when you are craving to be outside in the sun. 

Spooky Snacking: The Witches Brew

Disclaimer- I tried to grab dinner here on my birthday, which conveniently landed on a Friday, but it was so packed that I didn’t want to wait (because a birthday queen should wait for no one). However, I looked around and the place was so cool and mystical and everyone seemed to be enjoying their light meals and coffee. This is a good place for a lighter bite, as well as an outing that’s lighter on the wallet (they are cash only though). Many of my friends have suggested this place to me, so it seems to be widely enjoyed, and widely Instagrammed!

Icy Endeavors: Islanders Games at Nassau Coliseum

…or anything at the Coliseum for that matter. Located directly across from the Hofstra Dome, Nassau Coliseum always has something going on, whether it be a hockey game, a concert, Cirque de Soleil- you name it, they’ll have it at some point. The Islanders have returned to the Coliseum for a game here and there, so if you like hockey, this is a great opportunity to see an NHL team on the ice literally TWO MINUTES FROM YOUR DORM!

Day Trip It: NYC (fun stuff to do that is just a quick train ride away)

Chelsea Market and the High Line

This is kind of an obligatory must-do when you are exploring parts of the city for the first time. Chelsea market is a walkable distance from Penn Station and is home to a bunch of shops and places to eat. My all-time favorite gelato is located inside of Chelsea Market, and I can never resist stopping in to grab a cup of it (L’Arte del Gelato, the coconut flavor). Chelsea Market is located right nearby the High Line, so you can bang out two activities in one area. The High Line is a beautiful spot to see the city from a new perspective, as well as observe the artwork installations that they regularly rotate throughout the year. This used to be where the trains ran on the New York Central Railroad, and you can still see the original tracks running throughout the greenway.

Me at Chelsea Market. Photo by Noah Devaney 

Bryant Park

Bryant Park is hands-down one of my favorite parts of the city. There is always something going on and open to the public year round. My favorite event that Bryant Park holds each year is the Winter Village, which is open around Christmas time all the way into the beginning of January. This has grown to be one of my Christmas season rituals since coming to college, and I can’t imagine the season without it. Besides the holiday festivities, they always have seasonally appropriate events that are pretty much always free and open to everyone. From yoga classes on the grass, to dance shows, to concerts, and unique food options in the park, there is always something to enjoy. It is one of the places in the city where you can sit back and relax while enjoying the magic of New York.

Little Italy

Another gem in the highly adorned crown that is New York City. Little Italy is full of sweet restaurants and shops that are worth the gander. Every year in September, they hold the feast of San Gennaro, which is also actually celebrated in Italy. There are tons of street vendors and carnival rides, and speaking from personal experience, the whole thing is pretty lit. Little Italy is also home to two of my favorite things; my favorite mural and my favorite place to get jewelry. They have a mural of Audrey Hepburn a la Breakfast at Tiffany’s style, which is right next to Mulberry and Grand, the place where I got my well-loved and worn ‘G’ initial necklace (I wear this thing every day, and anyone with a ‘G’ name knows how hard it is to find initialed things). 

My friend and I at the Audrey Hepburn mural. Photo by Abbie Veitch

Weekend Trip It: Long Island (stuff to do when you have a long weekend to spare)

Mattituck and Greenport

Growing up towards the East End of Long Island, I have been able to see a lot of the beautiful towns that the two forks have to offer, but my favorite place to be is Mattituck. Etched with little farms and vineyards and located on the North Fork, Mattituck is a gorgeous spot year round. The most amicable time to visit is towards the end of August into the fall season. This is because all of the farms grow their sunflowers and prepare for pumpkin picking, the vineyards get ready for wine tours, and the sun shines just enough to remind you how lucky you are to be alive. My all-time favorite restaurant, Love Lane Kitchen, is just outside of Mattituck, located on a street called Love Lane (HOW CUTE, YES THIS IS REAL). If you drive about 8 miles east of Mattituck, you’ll come up to Greenport village, which is another little town chock full of restaurants and things to do. It is also right on the water, so you can wander around the dock and enjoy the view. 

Sag Harbor

Another cute and tiny village to add to the list, Sag Harbor is also a seaside town on the water, full of restaurants and shops galore. There’s even a whaling museum that tells the story of Long Island’s whaling history. My favorite spot in Sag Harbor is Grindstone Coffee and Donuts because they actually have amazing coffee and donuts, as well as great photo ops. Another cool place is Buddha Berry, a frozen yogurt place that looks like a Victorian house. The inside is bright orange, and full of candy, treats, and frozen yogurt options up the wazoo (so many vegan/dairy free flavors too!). There is also an endearingly cozy bookstore called Harbor Books, that even has a tea bar inside.

Me at Grindstone Coffee and Donuts. Photo by Noah Devaney

Montauk 

To round out this article, we will end with ‘The End’. At the very end of eastern Long Island lies Montauk, the place that inspired Stranger Things, and ‘The One at the Beach’ episode of Friends. There is an overwhelming amount of things to do and see at Montauk, but I will just tell you a few of my fave spots. The Candied Anchor is the best candy store I have ever been to, and I am very serious when it comes to candy. Sometimes they even have a little dog in there, which I personally believe makes any experience better. My next suggestion is John’s Drive-In, which is an old-fashioned style burger and ice cream place. Expect amazing fries and monstrous milkshakes. While you’re out east, you might as well visit the Montauk lighthouse by the beach. You can do the tour where you go to the top of the lighthouse and get the most beautiful view of the island and ocean.

The next time you feel bored or have money burning a hole in your pocket, come back to this list and plan something with your squad. Living in such a diverse and beautiful part of the country definitely comes with its perks!

Gia Tims

Hofstra '20

Gia is a double major in journalism and Italian at Hofstra University. She is obsessed with yoga, pugs, Friends and Target runs. Gia loves writing and hopes to live in NYC one day to fulfill her dream of becoming a journalist! Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @giatims