Best Places to See in NYC if You’re From Out of State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

New York City can be pretty overwhelming if you’ve never been before. There’s so much to do and so much to see that you many not even know where to start. NYC guides sometimes steer you in a direction to spend a lot of money rather than “see” the city. Here are a couple of musts if you come to NYC and you’re from out of state!

Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

This is a great spot to go and see for half the price of the Empire State Building. I always recommend this spot because you really get to see NYC and you can take pictures of the Empire State Building as well as the rest of the city. Also, you are about the same height up in Rockefeller Center as you would be if you went to the Empire State Building for a fraction of the price.

Dylan’s Candy Bar

Photo Courtesy of Dylan’s Candy Bar

If you have a sweet tooth then this is the place for you. Dylan’s Candy Bar is a three-story candy extravaganza that will leave you spending a little more than you’d like. They have just about every candy you can think of and more! This is my favorite spot satisfy my candy cravings in the city.

Central Park

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Central Park is one ofthe the prettiest places in NYC. It stretches three miles long and of course, has been filmed in many TV shows and movies. In some parts of the park, you wouldn’t even realize that you are in the middle of the city! It has multiple ponds and walkways as well as spots for picnics, tanning and more.

Grand Central Station

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Like Central Park, Grand Central Station has also been filmed in many TV shows and movies. There is more to do here than just buy a train ticket as well! Grand Central Station is a beautiful sight to see and has been a scene for many flash mobs! You can also get some shopping done or eat a meal.  

The Highline

Photo Courtesy of Friends of The Highline

This is one of NYC’s best-kept secrets in my experience. The Highline is built out of an old railroad and is now a beautiful elevated walkway that spans 1.45 miles. You can grab some great food and snacks along your walk on the Highline as well as see other parts of NYC.

Brooklyn Bridge

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

If you’re interested in landmarks, this is the place to go. The Brooklyn Bridge is beautiful in itself, but you also get an outside view of lower Manhattan. It’s even more beautiful at night. You can also spot the Statue of Liberty from a large part of the bridge which is also a plus!

Times Square

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

This is a must see for all. Being such an iconic destination in the city, this is where most of the action is as well as most of the shopping. You will find a ton of restaurants, all of the Broadway theaters and more!

These are my seven must-see destinations in NYC among all the rest that will give you a beautiful view of the city without breaking the bank. In fact, all that I mentioned above except the Top of the Rock costs no money at all! 

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.