This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Subscription boxes have taken the world by storm. There are boxes delivered to your door each month filled with food, pet supplies, beauty products, and so much more. The best part, these boxes are designed just for you! Seems like a dream, right? However, because they are so popular, there are also tons to choose from. Finding out which box is right for you can be challenging, so here is a breakdown of the best subscription boxes in beauty.

Ipsy

A post shared by ˗ (@ipsy) on

Co- founded by beauty queen Michelle Phan, Ipsy is one of the most prominent and popular subscription boxes out there. Each month, you pay $10 for 5 sample-sized beauty products that range from mid-level to luxury brands. The products also come in a super cute makeup bag each month. The products are curated towards your own preferences and needs based on a comprehensive (and fun) quiz you take when you sign up. No matter your skin type, hair style, makeup level, and makeup preferences, Ipsy has something for you. Ipsy is offered on a monthly or 1 year payment plan and if you sign up for 1 year, you get one month free!

Birchbox

A post shared by birchbox (@birchbox) on

Birchbox is another pioneer of the beauty subscription box world. Similar to Ipsy, you receive 5 (usually sample sized) products a month for $10. Birchbox has monthly, 6 month, and 1 year payment plans which are great for college students or those who prefer spreading out their payments. Like Ipsy, if you sign up for 1 year, you get one month free! Birchbox also has a pretty detailed beauty profile questionnaire so that they can get a sense of what you would like to receive in your box each month. If you really like a sample from your box, you can purchase the full size on the Birchbox website and earn points in your account. When you gather enough points, you can redeem them for free products (yay!).

GlossyBox

A post shared by GLOSSYBOX (@glossybox_us) on

Glossybox steps up the game as far as brands and product size. However, it is also more expensive than the two previous boxes. Glossybox is $21 per month for 5 deluxe (larger than sample size but smaller than full size) products. The products are usually higher end than some of the other boxes and are said to be worth over $60 total per month. Glossybox had a beauty quiz as well, and although it was slightly less detailed and comprehensive than the other two, it covered all of the basics needed for a simple beauty profile. They have a loyalty program that allows you to buy products for points. Once you earn enough points you can get a free box! There is a monthly, 3 month, 6 month, and 1 year payment plans (awesome) and the longer the plan the more money you save!

BoxyCharm

A post shared by BOXYCHARM (@boxycharm) on

Similar to GlossyBox, Boxycharm is $21 per month for 4-5 sized beauty products. The products aren’t sample size this time, however. They are FULL SIZE! These products are high quality, mostly luxury brands and all together are worth over $100 per month! Boxycharm also has a monthly, 3 month, 6 month, and yearly plan and you save more money the more months you purchase. They also have beauty questionnaire to fill out when you subscribe to know all of your likes and dislikes. Similar to Birchbox and Glossybox, Boxycharm has a points based loyalty program where you can earn free things if you gather enough points!

Sephora Play

A post shared by cat | LIVE GIVEAWAY (@blushbronzeglow) on

Sephora jumped on the beauty box bandwagon as well and released their subscription box called Play! By Sephora. Its only $10 a month for 5 samples and a cute little pouch for everything. It also comes with a coupon for 50 points towards their loyalty program if you spend $20 in store or online. This is great, especially if you frequent Sephora and their website. Their box is said to be worth over $65 per month for the five products. They only have one option for billing however, which is month by month. Similar to the others, Sephora uses a beauty questionnaire to learn more about your style.

These five boxes are only the tip of the iceberg as far as the subscription box world is concerned, but they are great options for someone who is ready to experience a beauty box for themselves. Each box offers a different beauty experience based on price range, product size, and brand. They are sure to feed any makeup lovers addiction or introduce a beginner into the vast world of beauty by offering a sample of so many new products. The best part is that they come straight to your door and are tailored just for you!

Emily Hughes

Hofstra '22

Emily is a freshman civil engineering major with a double minor in mathematics and sustainability studies. She is also the Pinterest editor for Her Campus Hofstra. Some of her passions in life include spontaneous adventures in New York City and ice cream.