This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

There are a lot of beauty trends going on right now. You have beauty gurus all over Instagram blending their makeup with strange items (like a hard boiled egg?), covering their roots in glitter, creating faux freckles, drawing on statement eyebrows—the list goes on and on. Magical creatures are also very popular right now in the beauty world. Whether you identify it as the “unicorn,” “mermaid,” or “fairidescent,” this holographic trend is spreading like rapid fire. 

A post shared by Pravana Finland (@pravana_finland) on

Holographic things are everywhere. From makeup to hair, the holographic trend has stormed its way into the beauty community. My personal favorite is holographic hair. I happened to stumble upon a picture of it on Instagram the other day and fell in love immediately. Because of the multi-dimensional metallic shades mixed in with pastel hues, the hair gains a shiny opalescent look that reflects different colors depending on the light. The hair is created through a process known as Hand-Pressed Coloring, a technique created by Redken colorist Chiala Marvici. This particular technique takes the idea of screen printing and brings it to the hair using plexiglass, allowing multi-dimensional and multi-tonal effects. 

When it comes to the makeup side of this trend, so many products have hit the market that it can be hard to choose which ones are the best to add to your collection. Below are the three I would definitely add to mine. 

A post shared by Kat Von D Beauty (@katvondbeauty) on

Kat Von D Alchemist Holographic Palette 

I know what you’re thinking… this palette doesn’t look like anything special upon first glance, but once you swatch them, your entire view will change. The best part is, these four shades are multi-functional, so you can use them as a highlight, an eyeshadow, over a lip color, or however else your heart desires. The palette retails for $32 on Sephora

A post shared by Milk Makeup (@milkmakeup) on

Milk Makeup Holographic Stick 

Want a product that can make you holographic all over? The Milk Makeup Holographic Stick is one of those products that you can swipe anywhere on your body for that holographic glow. You can use it on your eyes, your cheekbones, collarbones, arms, anywhere you want! The stick retails for $28 on Milk

A post shared by Too Faced Cosmetics (@toofaced) on

Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lipstick in Unicorn Tears 

And finally, the lipstick that was all the rage when it was first released because of its iridescent finish. Now, the hype over the product has died down a little bit, but as holographic makeup makes its way onto the beauty scene, you’ll start to see this product more, too. The best part is, it glides on like a lipstick, but is hydrating like a lip balm with a gorgeous finish—it’s the best of both worlds. It can be used on its own or over top of other lipsticks since the pink to puple to blue color shift complements lots of colors and skin types. The lipstick retails for $22 on Too Faced

So, there you have it—that’s the beauty trend I’m loving right now. I can’t wait to see what other crazy things people do with these products that involve the trend. Beauty is such a cool thing to pay attention to because of how often it changes and how quickly things catch on, especially with the beauty community on Instagram. I’m not really sure how you can top holographic, especially in the highlight department, but I’m sure someone will somehow find a way to do so. How? Well, that remains to be seen. In the meantime, enjoy your unicorn, mermaid, fairy, or whatever you wish to call it, beauty trend. It certainly is magical!

Hi, I'm Alex! New York's been my home since the day I was born, but I love exploring all of it's hidden secrets. I'm a diehard Mets fan and anyone who knows me knows that I can talk about baseball for hours. If you ever have any food suggestions, feel free to let me know as I love finding cool eats around New York!