This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Save the bright lipstick and colored shadows for another day ladies; it’s time to target your inner natural beauty. When it comes to makeup, less can be more. Natural nude tones can make your skin appear flawless, while giving you a radiant appearance. Whether it’s with neutral concealers, shadows or light bronzers, there are plenty of ways to apply natural looking makeup for a subtle daytime look. Here are some easy tips for achieving the natural look you want.

1. In order to achieve a natural look, your skin needs to be moisturized and exfoliated. By allowing dirt and other impurities to clog your pores, you’re more likely to experience blemishes and breakouts. Because over exfoliating can dry out your skin, I recommend exfoliating once a week. Moisturizing will prevent your skin from drying out; especially during the cold winter months. Choose a light weight moisturizer such as bareMinerals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer: Combination Skin.

2. Skip bright lipsticks and glosses when going for a natural look. Nude or light pink lipsticks can really enhance your overall appearance. It can get tricky when trying to find the perfect color for your skin tone but there are many on the market. You don’t have to spend a lot when buying nude lipsticks either. Brands such as L’Oreal and Maybelline have a wide selection of colors. 

3. If your face does have blemishes or breakouts, you can apply light neutral concealers and primers. One of my favorite products to use is Benefit’s the POREfessional. The lightweight balm minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines for smoother looking skin. The oil-free formula also complements all skin tones. If you’re looking for a natural looking concealer, try MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer. The formula is lightweight and provides smooth invisible coverage for all skin blemishes. The concealer also contains Silica,which helps absorb the skin’s oils. It’s important to reduce the appearance of your skin’s imperfections when trying to achieve a more natural smooth look.

4. If you do want to add some color to your face, you can try Benefit’s Dallas. Just brush the light weight bronzer along your cheeks, forehead and chin for a fresh glow. You can even try dusting Benefit’s 10 over Dallas for a healthy radiant appearance. Adding light bronzers and blushes to your cheeks can accentuate your natural beauty.

These simple tips can help you achieve the natural look you desire.  Remember not to over apply makeup and always make sure to use colors that blend well with your skin tone. Let your natural beauty shine!

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!