Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: What is Leaping Bunny and Why Should I Care?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Hello my loves and welcome back to my blog! Today, I decided to write about a more serious topic: testing makeup and skincare on animals. Animal testing is a horrible thing that causes many animals to be seriously hurt or die in the process. I recently became aware of an amazing program known as Leaping Bunny. “Leaping Bunny Certified” means that a company is cruelty-free, which means they do not test any of their products on animals. Most of the time the animals being tested on are bunnies, but it is also horses, cats, dogs, mouses, and so many other animals.

Just a few days ago, CoverGirl announced they have become Leaping Bunny Certified. They proved you do not need to test on animals to make good makeup. Yet, so many big companies such as L’Oreal, Revlon and Estee Lauder still are not cruelty-free, and why is that? The Government of China requires makeup to be tested on animals before it can be sold, therefore, these companies do not want to loose the large market in China. 

So, what brands are cruelty-free and which are not? I choose some of the most popular brands today to find out which brands do not test on animals. This is not a comprehensive list, just some I choose to feature. If you are in the store and wondering what products are cruelty-free, look for the Leaping Bunny logo on the product.

Leaping Bunny Certified 

• Anastasia Beverly Hills 
  • BareMinerals
  • Becca 
  • Buxom
  • CoverGirl
  • Cover FX
  • Hourglass
  • IT Cosmetics
  • Kat Von D
  • NYX
  • Smashbox
  • Stila
  • Tarte
  • Too Faced
  • Urban Decay

Still Tested on Animals

• Almay
  • Benefit
  • Clinique
  • L’Oreal
  • Lancome
  • Maybelline 
  • Revlon
  • Rimmel​

Click here for all the brands that are Leaping Bunny certified

Click here for all the brands that still test on animals

If you are interested in learning more about cruelty-free, please check out crueltyfreekitty.com, crueltyfreeinternational.org, or peta.org, they are all so committed to ending animal testing. 

*Us going to buy cruelty-free makeup*

Thank you so much for reading my blog and I hope to see you next week! 

XOXO, 

Emma

*All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Emma is a freshman at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a degree in accounting. When not binge-watching Netflix, she is probably shopping (for makeup and skincare) or traveling. After college, she hopes to get her masters degree in taxation. Check out her photography website www.emmagiambalvo.myportfolio.com