Beach Reads and Beyond: Pretty Little Liars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Photo courtesy of Flickr

”Cross your heart and hope to die”, “pinkie promise”, “swear on your life”….do any of these phrases ring a bell? These are the silly little phrases that are usually associated with children keeping secrets, but the characters of my next Beach Read have secrets that are far from anything juvenile.  I’m going to admit I never imagined reading this week’s suggestion, but sometimes the most enjoyable reads are surprises. Many collegiates adored the hit television series, Pretty Little Liars, while it was on the air, but for me, it’s been something sitting on my Netflix watch list for way too long. I figured before eventually watching it, it would be a good idea to see how the show became so big.

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia

It’s been years since I read any sort of series, but I quickly became emerged in the world of four pretty girls from a Philadelphia suburb that is “Outwardly nice, but inwardly horrid”.  Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily were once part of the most tight-knit clique in Rosewood, Pennsylvania, all brought together by the reigning queen bee, Alison DiLaurentis. While they enjoyed their new status and friends, they could not help but feel like dolls that were controlled by Alison, that is until she disappeared, never to be seen again.

A few years pass and the friendships have long faded yet the remaining four can’t help but feel watched. That’s when they begin receiving mysteries messages from a sender that goes by “A”. The unknown sender taunts the girls with threats of revealing their darkest secrets, ones only known by Alison, and ones that could damage their reputation, along with tarnishing their family names. The protagonists are forced to make dangerous choices to protect their past, while simultaneously coping with the discovery of their missing friend’s body.

It is very easy to get wrapped into this story, especially because of the setting. Because I am Philadelphia born and raised myself, I enjoy being able to visualize everything that is happening because of its close proximity.

Though the series is aimed at young adults, it’s a great read for all ages. Author Sara Shepard easily creates an environment where the reader can feel like a part of the story, as well as creates a fun mystery you don’t want to put down. In addition, she has created interesting characters with backstories that accurately reflect some of the issues young people face touching on issues including sexuality, body image, family struggles, in addition to daily pressures that emerge from the life of a teenager.

At points, it is easy to become tired, and well, envious of all the constantly mentioned designer brands these teens can somehow afford, but it is easy to look past it and agonize over the journey to find out the identity of “A”. With cliffhangers and plot twists at almost every page turn, Pretty Little Liars is a great, easy read to quickly get lost in for the little bit of drama that’s needed in life.

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Overall, I am pleased that my skepticism was defeated and I really hope I’ll be able to continue with this series and ultimately find the identity of “A” as well as see what other secrets are in store!

Kimberly Donahue is a junior at Hofstra University majoring in broadcast journalism. She aspires to constantly be sharing the stories of people across the world as a broadcast news reporter for a major network, but for now is exploring other realms of journalism and writing about her other interests including reading, dreaming, science, and more. Currently, she is serving as the News Director for WRHU, Hofstra University's two time Marconi award winning station. When she's not on the go she's falling down a Wikipedia black hole, you can find her binge watching YouTube segments from late night talk shows.