freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Beach Reads and Beyond: Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Throughout the school year, I am often disappointed that I do not have enough time to read. Since high school, I have acquired a very long must read list along with a shelf full of books that have been collecting dust. When I read a good book, I like to tell everyone I know about it, but I often get the same questions. In order to save some time and get more people reading, I decided to create this blog so that everyone can find their perfect read for the beach, the office, or beyond.

My first recommendation for the summer is Modern Romance by comedian Aziz Ansari.

The book is a compilation of research conducted by Ansari and NYU sociologist Eric Klinenberg about the changes in romantic life since the introduction of technology geared towards dating including Tinder, OkCupid, and new relationship milestones such as receiving the “first text”.

Many young adults have had their share of awkward encounters through Snapchat and other social media outlets. There is a number that also claim they wish they had romance and a dating culture similar to one of their grandparent’s generation. The novel introduces the reader to norms to show that the culture is not the fantasy they romanticize. In fact, many of the older folks discuss how they wish they could be part of the dating scene today.  

Photo by Kimberly Donahue

This is a compelling read because it educates the reader on what the dating world was like only a few generations ago. Ansari focuses on certain factors that impacted how people found their partners for life such as location, financial stability and security, and family matchmaking. The focus, however, is in heterosexual relationships due to Ansari’s claim that adding in the evolution of the LGBTQ+ community through technology would require several more years worth of research.

I found it useful that Ansari used focus groups, subreddits with people of all ages, and his own personal experiences to show stark differences in the dating scene throughout different decades and locations. It gives the reader a useful way to compare their experiences with others and allows them to hone in on their own encounters with dating in the “phone world” issues like digital snooping, the perfect Tinder profile picture, or romantic social norms across the globe.

Despite my enjoyment of this book, I did not learn as many things about today’s dating culture as much as had reassurance in my own conclusions. Yet, it was helpful for the author to go more in depth about why Millennials act the way they do when it comes to dating. There were times when I could have gone without Ansari’s joking commentary on the studies that served more as a distraction and less of a way to keep the reader engrossed in the research, but they were spread out enough to keep me intrigued.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

If you want to learn more about the evolution of online dating and feel a little better (or worse) about your own personal experiences and moves in the romance department, this is a seamless read that will cause the reader to look at romantic relationships from different age groups differently and perhaps use the additions of technology into dating to your advantage.

Photo by Kimberly Donahue

Enough from me, get cracking and enjoy your latest beach read to take beyond!

Kimberly Donahue is a junior at Hofstra University majoring in broadcast journalism. She aspires to constantly be sharing the stories of people across the world as a broadcast news reporter for a major network, but for now is exploring other realms of journalism and writing about her other interests including reading, dreaming, science, and more. Currently, she is serving as the News Director for WRHU, Hofstra University's two time Marconi award winning station. When she's not on the go she's falling down a Wikipedia black hole, you can find her binge watching YouTube segments from late night talk shows.