Style

Back-To-School Fashion Inspo For The First Weeks Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I’d be lying if I told you that I remembered all of the outfits I wore for the first days of school I’ve had throughout my life. In fact, I don’t even remember what I wore on my first day of college. It isn’t documented anywhere (somehow) and I’m honestly a little upset about it. I’m one of the few people that actually like having my Snapchat memories resurface.

The outfits I’ve worn on the first day or even in the first weeks of school were all about helping me feel more confident in going back to school again. When I know I look cute, I feel more confident and it’s easier to get through the day and make good first impressions with my professors and classmates.

College fashion is hard. There’s a fine line between comfy and cute clothes, seasonal and staple items and trying to stay on-trend while still maintaining that personal style that we’ve all worked so hard at for so long.

One of the worst issues to face on campus is the fact that right now, it still feels like Summer weather but inside all of the buildings, I never know if it’s going to feel like I’m in Antarctica or the Sahara. Because I have to wear five different layers whenever I want to go anywhere on campus that are easy to take on and off, my collection of sweater cardigans, flannels and jean jackets has grown a little too big to manage.

Luckily, all of these options go with virtually anything. Anyone, no matter your style, can always find benefit in even just one really cute jean jacket. Lately, I’ve loved throwing mine over a plain t-shirt with a neck scarf from Madewell.

*Photo courtesy of the author

Or, you can always try to dress it up by wearing it over a patterned dress, which is perfect because sometimes putting on jeans sounds like a task I don’t want to overcome before my 9 a.m. class. Simple layers with statements like a babydoll dress or pants are such an easy combination, and it’s so easy to make simple changes it’s insane.

Another trend I’ve been loving is wearing a t-shirt or sweater over dresses and jumpsuits so it looks like skirts. I never thought about it, but one of my managers at work did it, and I thought it was such a good idea that I started doing it, and I will honestly probably never go back.

​*Photo courtesy of the author

Finding ways to make something new out of the things you already own is honestly the name of the game this back to school. We’re balling on a budget this semester, but that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice any parts of your style.

Staple pieces like pocket tees and denim are super easy to style as your own with little things like sweater cardigans and statement necklaces.

​*Photo courtesy of the author

Cassity is a senior Public Relations and French double major at Hofstra. Her life's mission is to find the best oat milk latte in New York City and live out her dream of someday being as iconic as Carrie Bradshaw. Until then, she's happy to serve as Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra.