This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Kim Kardashian: a reality star, drama icon, and business mogul. Kardashian is widely known for starring in “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” a show following the lives of the Kardashian and Jenner family. Her scandalous tabloids, dramatic love life, and doll-like physique have kept her in the public eye for over a decade. Many people discredit the entire Kardashian family on having any talent. However, I believe this has been debunked on numerous occasions; the most recent one being Kim Kardashian joining the cast of American Horror Story.

News outlets and internet trolls had a field day with the news of Kardashian joining the popular cast. With her little acting experience, many people doubted her ability to join such a prestigious cast that has been around for over a decade. Joining co-star Emma Roberts, who has been on the show for six seasons prior to season 12, had people wondering how big of a role Kardashian would actually have. Her role, Sibohan Corbyn, is a publicist for Robert’s role. Viewers have only been able to watch the first half of the season, as filming was paused due to the writers and actors’ strike. Throughout the first half of the season, we watch the pair interact in serious, comedic and playful ways. 

Ryan Murphy, co-writer and producer of not only American Horror Story, but also Glee, Dahmer and Scream Queens spoke out against the backlash that Kardashian received. Murphy stated: “Kim is among the biggest and brightest television stars in the world and we are thrilled to welcome her to the AHS family.”

Now I would like to delve in my personal review of Kardashian’s performance as an avid AHS watcher and fan (strictly a performance review and not to do with Kardashian as a person). When season 12 premiered on September 20th of this year, I was sure to tune in as soon as I could. Honestly, and to my surprise, Kardashian’s portrayal of Sibohan Corbyn was a standout character for me. It did not seem like a forced celebrity cameo that Hollywood has seen before; it felt like a real and authentic performance. I was worried that her famous status would overshadow her newfound acting career, but I truly felt as though Sibohan Corbyn was real and not just Kardashian herself. Corbyn is a witty, passionate, and loyal person who I think Kardashian did a fantastic job portraying. Throughout the first half of the season, we see her relationship with movie star Anna Victoria Alcott (Roberts) progress and learn more about Corbyn’s character. Her confident persona did nothing but support her peers.  

In my opinion, the reality star completely debunked any and all theories that she would convey a weak performance. Every week, I looked forward to the new episodes solely because of Kardashian’s acting. Though I am unqualified to truly critique her performance, I do believe that if given a different type of role, she may not have succeeded as much. But, with the role she was given, I think she did a phenomenal job for being a non-actress.

Carly is a current freshman at Hofstra University studying communications. She is from New Jersey and is interested in photography, video editing, and the entertainment/beauty industries!