Alexander M. Pineda ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Age: 20

Birthday: August 4, 1993

Hometown: Rochester, NY

Field of Study: Broadcast Journalism

Year of Graduation: May 2015

Favorite Food: My grandmother’s cooking is a good as it gets. I love Dominican food, especially pepper steak.

Hobbies: I really don’t like the bars or parties except on special occasions. I love being around my friends and family. I spend most of my free time watching sports especially now that it’s basketball season. I follow both the Hofstra men’s and women’s basketball teams closely so I’ll be at all of their home games this winter. I enjoy watching the news and really paying attention to how each broadcast is produced as means of learning. I’ve always been interested in what’s going on locally and around the world and what’s happening politically so I try to keep up with current events and read the newspaper as much as possible. I love music. My favorite rapper is Fabolous. Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Troy Ave and Future. I love bachata. My favorite movie to watch any time I’m bored is Paid in Full.   

Campus Involvement: I am a member of Hofstra University’s Association of Black Journalist. I am the sports reporter for the club web series BlackInc TV and I write and produce the sports segment. I also write for the club newsletter. I am also a member of WRHU. My  slot right now is Hip Hop Basement. I’m working on getting some stuff together so I can host Tu Musica next semester.

What do you feel is your best quality?

Without a doubt, my best qualities are that I’m respectful, loyal and I’m genuinely a caring person. If you’re my friend, I will go above and beyond to help you out in any way possible.  

What attracts you when looking for a partner?

I love a girl with a good head on her shoulders, more than that, I like for a girl to have morals and respect herself. A girl that carries herself the right way is very attractive. Nothing is more attractive than a girl with a foreign accent and nothing is more unattractive than a beautiful girl smoking a cigarette. Independent women who work for what they have are the best because they have the same mentality as me; you can’t rely on anybody but yourself to handle your responsibilities. 

Describe your ideal date?

I’m a junior chef and can be kind of romantic so if I’m really into you, l can manage a candlelit dinner but that’s rare. I’m really laid back so I’d like to go to a nice restaurant and really get to know a good person. After dinner, you can’t go wrong with a good movie but something more interactive like a walk through the park or a trip to a museum is preferred, especially if the girl can carry a conversation. 

What’s the worst date you ever been on?

I took this girl out to dinner and she was just rude to the server which was very unattractive. The server was actually nice and she was just being disrespectful for no reason which was embarrassing. Respect is everything for me so if a person is disrespectful then I don’t want anything to do with them.

Describe your most embarrassing moment:

My most embarrassing moment was at my high school graduation. Each student was only given 4 tickets for the ceremony but I made copies of the tickets at Staples so all of my family could be there. When I crossed the stage, I got the loudest ovation and I obviously had more than 4 people there. My principal winked at me and said, “You’ve got quite the crowd here,” as she handed me my diploma. It wasn’t a big deal but my families excitement just made it clear that I bent the rules. 

A place you want to visit:

My mom is Puerto Rican and my dad is Dominican. I’ve been to the Dominican Republic a few times but I’ve never been to Puerto Rico. I really want to go visit PR and meet all the family I have there.

Something you can’t live without:

I can’t live with the ESPN Apps on my iPhone. The ScoreCenter app is clutch because I can check scores at any time but the WatchESPN app is the best because I can watch whatever programming that’s airing on ESPN on my phone at any time.

What would you do with $1 million dollars?

The first thing I would do is pay off my loans then start a college fund for my little brother and sisters. Then I would buy my mom a new house and get myself a Ranger Rover.