Big 3 Astrology?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Big 3 Astrology?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

A beginner’s guide to astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Astrology is an ancient practice that studies cosmic objects and their effects on peoples lives. Today, it has become increasingly popular. But what’s it all about? Before diving into that, you must know your main signs. If you don’t already, visit https://cafeastrology.com/ and enter your birth date, time and place. Grab your birth chart and read along!

The Twelve Signs

Before getting into the details, find your sign. When people ask what your sign is, most of the time they are referring to your sun sign. There are twelve signs, aligned with different date ranges. Find where your birthday falls below.

Aries (March 21- April 19)

Taurus (April 20- May 20)

Gemini (May 21-June 20)

Cancer (June 21-July 22)

Leo (July 23- August 22)

Virgo (August 23- September 22)

Libra (September 23- October 22)

Scorpio (October 23- November 21)

Capricorn (December 22- January 19)

Aquarius (January 20- February 18)

Pisces (February 19- March 20)

assorted zodiac signs?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media

The Four Elements

Now that you know your sun sign, it is time to understand the element it falls under. There are four earthly elements that the twelve signs divide into. Elements are what give your sign life, explaining how to increase your energy and avoid weaknesses.

Fire Signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)- Fire signs are active and restless. They have tons of energy, often competitive allowing for enjoyment of movement and physical activity. Often times, fire signs can be easily overstimulated. It is important for fire signs to be aware of the amount of projects they take on and avoid overscheduling themselves.

Earth Signs (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn)- Earth signs have power that is tangible and physical, exuding feminine energy. They are grounded, dependable signs. Routine is very important for earth signs, and it is vital that they keep structure to avoid bad habits.

Air Signs (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius)- Air signs are communicative and mental. They strive on being social and personal relationships are extremely important. Sometimes, air signs can feel out of balance, so it is important to practice grounding and meditation

Water Signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces)- Water signs are emotional and mysterious. The mind-body-spirit connection is vital to the health of water signs. To feel secure, a soothing home base is important. Water signs tend to get overemotional- too angry, too sad or too anxious. Breath work is a great way for water signs to manage emotions.

The Three Modalities

Modalities are another organizational tool for the twelve signs. These tell you how you can move and evolve over time.

Cardinal: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn

The cardinal signs are all about new experiences. These signs begin at the start of each season, ushering in new beginnings. They are known to be good leaders that naturally fit into positions of power. The element that they fall under shows what kind of leader they will be. Capricorns, for example, lead with discipline and control. Cancer is more likely to lead with warmth and vulnerability.

Fixed: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius

Fixed signs are stable and grounded. Within their elements, they find stability, representing the characteristics of their element. Fixed signs represent the middle of the season. This represents how the fixed signs are set in their ways. This can manifest differently for each element. For example Scorpio, a fixed water sign, finds stability through bravery whereas Leo, a fixed fire sign, generates through creativity.

Mutable: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces

Mutable signs signal an end of the season. These four signs are flexible and adapt to any situation they are put in. The element of the sign determines how the signs adapt to the changes around them. Geminis do this through curiosity, where Virgos do this through hard work and communication.

zodiac signs cancer pisces gemini?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Her Campus Media

Your Big Three

Sun Sign

Your sun sign is based on the day you were born. This is the most radiant force in your birth chart, tying in all your core identities and who you are evolving to be. This sign tells you what your values and goals are, even your sense of self. As you become more confident in your being, you begin to connect with your sun sign more.

Moon Sign

Your moon sign is all about your inner being. It tells you how to process emotions and reflect it back on the world. It is deep rooted in instincts and the unconscious self. This describes your authentic desires, allowing you to think about your inner spirit or soul.

Rising Sign

Your rising sign tells you where your natal chart begins. It falls into your first house, providing insight on how others view you and how you interact with the world. An analogy for the rising, or ascendant sign, is the mask that you put on when you go out into the world. It is essential to know your time of birth to find your rising sign.

Now that you have a basic foundation for understanding astrology, feel free to delve further into your birth chart. These core principles will allow you to understand your strengths, weakness, values, goals and so much more. There is plenty to learn, and this is a great starting point.

Kim Casey is a senior at Hofstra. She has a double major in Public Relations and Psychology. She is a member of the Hofstra Cheerleading team, PAD Hofstra and a Pure Barre instructor.