Popcorn
Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

From the ending of the Skywalker saga in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker to the defeat of Thanos in Avengers: Endgame, 2019 was a big year for the film industry. It’s hard to imagine that 2020 could compete, but let’s see what the year has to offer.

Birds of Prey— February 7

Margot Robbie reprises her role as Harley Quinn in the character’s first solo adventure. Her breakup with the Joker puts a target on her back and she must face off with crime boss, Black Mask. She joins forces with three unexpected allies, Huntress, Black Canary and Renee Montoya, all of whom are deadly women. Two words for this film: Girl Power. 

A Quiet Place Part II— March 20

Following the terrors of the first movie that lead to the death of John Krasinski’s character, the Abbott family must fight to survive without him. When they’re forced to leave their home, they realize that the creatures are not the only threats in their world. The sequel is set to be as unnerving as the first. 

Mulan— March 27

Disney is continuing to turn their animated classics into live-action remakes, with the next being Mulan. The film is said to focus more on the original Chinese legend, meaning fans will be able to see the true story of the titular hero. Although there will be no Mushu or Li Shang, the film promises new and exciting characters, such as the antagonist who is a witch. 

No Time to Die— April 10

The newest James Bond movie coming to screens is Daniel Craig’s fifth and final film in the franchise. Supposedly 007 had retired after the events of the previous film, Spectre, but a friend enlists his help after the abduction of a scientist. Bond is dragged back into the action and must face a new and dangerous villain.

Black Widow— May 1

Scarlett Johansson is returning as Black Widow in Natasha Romanov’s first solo film that will kick off Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Many fans believe that Black Widow’s solo film is long overdue, as she was the first female Avenger in the film franchise. The announcement of the movie last year came as a surprise due to the character’s death in Avengers: Endgame. It will be interesting to see where the film fits into the MCU timeline, as well as which of the characters will return in later Marvel movies. Florence Pugh is a fan favorite, as many are hoping she will continue her role as Yelena Belova in future films.

Wonder Woman 1984— June 5

Director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot return for another installment of Wonder Woman on the big screen. The trailer raised many questions, as Chris Pine is reprising his role as Steve Trevor who supposedly died in the first film. The sequel promises a fresh story for the heroine and new villains for her to conquer. 

In The Heights— June 26

Broadway fans, in particular, are excited for the musical’s film adaptation, written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, to come to the big screen. Miranda wrote the earliest drafts of In The Heights during his freshman year of college. Since then, it went on to become a Broadway hit, winning 4 Tony Awards including Best Musical. If it stays true to its Broadway roots, the film is sure to gain a lot of success.

Eternals— November 6

New characters are making their way into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Little has been revealed about the plot of Marvel’s second film of 2020, but the Eternals are predicted to be key players in Phase 4 of the franchise. With cast members such as Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Salma Hayek and Gemma Chan starring as the immortal beings, this movie is going to be hard to miss. 

West Side Story— December 18

Steven Spielberg is directing his first movie musical, which stars Ansel Elgort and newcomer Rachel Zegler as the star-crossed lovers, Tony and Maria. The film is expected to adhere more to the Broadway script, rather than the original adaption released in 1961. A trailer has yet to be released, but the first look photo released in 2019 fueled fans’ excitement. 

Last year may have been big for the film industry, but 2020 offers some promising titles. From adaptions of Broadway musicals to superhero films, this year has a lot to offer.

Kiera is a junior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Global Studies with a minor in Creative Writing. When she's not studying or writing articles, you can probably find her somewhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn. After college, she aspires to be an author and a travel writer.