9 Aesthetics and How to Incorporate Them Into Your Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

So, what even is an aesthetic? We’re here to help you figure that out. Aesthetics are originally derived from a branch of philosophy that is concerned with beauty, taste and art. In the age of social media, aesthetics have merged into many different aspects of personal style, general appearance and photography. Whether you are looking to change up your style, find a more cohesive “look” or are just simply interested in learning about aesthetics, finding an aesthetic that you like can help you in a number of different ways. Let’s take a deep dive into nine different aesthetics and learn how to incorporate them into your life! 

Cottagecore

This aesthetic takes root in the romanticization of nature and rural farm life. The clothing generally reflects the basic qualities of this aesthetic and includes lace, ruffles, flowy skirts, prairie dresses as well as overalls and aprons. Most of the colors can be found in nature such as creams, browns, faded green and light purples. Usually, this style is accompanied by homemade accessories.

If you are looking to incorporate cottagecore into your life, an easy starting point is to have a picnic with friends or even by yourself! You can also try taking a daily walk in nature, journaling, indulging in self-care and self-intuition or becoming more sustainable. If you have a green thumb, you can even go so far as planting your own herbs, fruits and vegetables. 

Refined Urban 

When you think about the refined urban aesthetic, think about the ‘model off duty’ lifestyle. Consisting of streetwear and polished style, this aesthetic is very ‘city chic’. However, you do not need to have a lot of money to indulge in the refined urban aesthetic. Try pairing basic clothing with layers of jewelry and your favorite pair of sneakers. Although this aesthetic doesn’t necessarily have a set of hobbies to deep dive into, simply dressing up your style can be an activity of its own! Playing with the leisurewear in your closet and pairing it with other basic pieces can make incorporating the refined urban aesthetic into your life practically effortless.     

Grunge

The grunge aesthetic is characterized by muted and cool tones, layering and oversized pieces. A great way to play around with this style is by switching out regular leggings for fishnets under ripped jeans or styling a striped turtleneck/tight long sleeve under a printed t-shirt. You can also pair an outfit with a chunky pair of boots or mary-janes to enhance the grunge aesthetic in your everyday outfits. Try editing Instagram photos by enhancing shadows, increasing contrast, lowering highlights and adding a bit of grain.  

Art Kid

If you love art or anything artistic, this aesthetic is definitely for you. To switch up your style try incorporating more primary colors, mom jeans, printed tees and some form of high top sneaker. Pair this outfit with a trendy backpack or a tote bag filled with your favorite art supplies and you have embraced the art kid aesthetic. You can also try picking up the ukulele or practice a new art skill you have yet to try! 

Dark and Light Academia 

Dark and Light Academia embraces the romanticization of anything related to education and research. Both dark and light academia can be styled with blazers, collared shirts, turtlenecks, high knee socks and plaid or wool skirts. Dark academia consists of blacks, deep browns, maroons and dark greys. It embraces shadowy hallways, gothic architecture and low lit libraries. Light academia incorporated many more light tones such as creams, whites and beiges. If this aesthetic interests you, try bringing your favorite book or schoolwork to a coffee shop, visiting museums, writing your own poetry or visiting your local library.        

Vintage

The vintage aesthetic embraces all things antiquated and second-hand, so it is perfect for those who love thrifting or just older fashion styles in general. Play around with hair scarves, headbands and clips to change up your hairstyles. At the thrift store, or any second-hand store, look for corduroy, worn-in jeans, antique logos and bags. Try editing your photos with grain, upping exposure and lowering contrast. This will make your photos look more vintage to match your style. You can even try out polaroids or film cameras as well. 

Granola

Similar to cottagecore, the granola aesthetic embraces and romanticizes nature and sustainability. While cottagecore centers more around farm-life, however, the granola aesthetic supports a more nomadic feel. The general color scheme of this aesthetic is burnt oranges, yellows, deep greens and turquoise. Pair some loose-fitting jeans or leggings with an oversized printed tee or fleece jacket. Grab a backpack and hit your favorite hiking trail, plan a camping trip or even go kayaking if you’re able to!

Minimalism 

The minimalist aesthetic is almost exactly as it seems. Consisting of whites, blacks and greens, this aesthetic is rooted in clean and open spaces and style. If you are looking to change up your space in favor of a more minimalist style, clear off shelves of clutter, change bed sheets to plain white and draw some single line artwork to hang on your walls. For clothing, try to stick to solid colors and try mixing fabrics instead of mixing prints. 

Maximalism

If you are more interested in maximalism, go all out on the print! Mix patterns, colors and styles until you find something you love. In your space, try constructing an overlapping wall collage with some of your favorite photos and prints, stack books on your surfaces and line your shelves with your favorite trinkets or plants. Maximalism is based on covering every inch of your space in the things that you love, so have fun and be creative! 

Now that you have eight new aesthetics to choose from, here are some tips! First, use Pinterest to your advantage. Once you create a board of things you like, the app’s algorithm will start to suggest other images based on the ones you have already chosen. Likewise, make use of local thrift stores, second-hand shops and items you already own. Just because you start to dive into a new aesthetic, it doesn’t mean you have to spend your entire savings on it. Start to refine your spaces- and yourself -into the environment that you love and remember to have fun and never be afraid to mix aesthetics to find a style of your own! 

Allie is a sophomore Public Relations major with a minor in Drama. Her list of current obsessions includes, but is certainly not limited to; coffee, fashion, pet pictures, and Phoebe Bridgers' entire discography. When she is not singing or playing guitar there is a good chance she can be found at the thrift store or at Trader Joes. Follow her on instagram to see what she is up to outside of Her Campus Hofstra! @alliemillette