This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We are constantly looking to celebrities for inspiration. Whether it’s for style or beauty, famous figures have the platform to showcase what they are passionate about, and because of their choices, they can influence the rest of the world. Here are eight celebrities that have proven to be some of the most influential in fashion for this year (so far).

Lily Collins

Following Lily Collins on Instagram was one of the best decisions I made this year. She wore some of my favorite red-carpet looks over the years, and her style overall does not disappoint. Her resemblance to Audrey Hepburn is uncanny, and she shares a very similar classic style with Audrey that I think is timeless. The simple beauty of many of her looks reminds us how laidback high fashion can actually be.

Timothée Chalamet

I love Timothée Chalamet’s Golden Globes outfit from this year. The sleek black with a dash of glitter is a great way to spice up any black tie occasion. As an amazing actor, his fame has continued to grow throughout the year, and his fashion taste has not been lacking. Although he has a much more subdued and simple style, I think his understanding of fashion can be seen in what he chooses to wear. 

Normani

Being named the first brand ambassador for Fenty and releasing the smash hit “Motivation,” Normani is on top of the world. Her iconic throwback looks, both in her music video and on her Instagram feed, are an amazing tribute to some of the sexiest ensembles ever. Her form-fitting, glittery bodysuits and dresses have become a staple of modern pop culture. She even makes athletic appear incredibly chic.

Harry Styles

Harry Styles, the king of brightly-colored suits and flirty floral patterns, has reemerged this year with the release of his second album on December 13. This year he has continued his stint in fashion by co-hosting the Met Gala and balancing his femininity and masculinity in one ensemble. I have always been a fan of Harry (and of course One Direction), but I think he deserves this recognition regardless. He has allowed himself to shine not only through his music but also through his clothes in the last couple of years.

Céline Dion

I am going to be honest and say that I have never really taken a good hard look at Céline Dion and the clothes that she wears. After seeing her on Carpool Karaoke with James Corden, I realized how awesome this woman really is. She talked all about her shoes, and I am so jealous of the warehouse space that she has for them. Every time I see her at award shows or on social media, I am reminded of her ability to make something that is so over-the-top look completely chic and casual.

Ezra Miller

This year’s Met Gala produced so many perfect examples of the CAMP theme, and Ezra Miller’s was at the top of my list. Many of the people that I chose to put on this list were picked because of their influential and ground-breaking outfits on the steps of the Met. I think Ezra Miller’s style is brilliant and creative. Like Harry Styles (and honestly like everyone else on this list), he isn’t afraid to push boundaries and say exactly how he feels through his clothes.

Zendaya

If I had to pick one celebrity whose fashion sense I would want to emulate, it would be Zendaya’s. She makes every red carpet look like a runway, and still somehow makes each look entirely her own. There are so many different pieces that I could point out to explain my reasoning, but I decided to stick with her Vogue cover because it shows her versatility and raw beauty. Zendaya could do no wrong in my eyes.

Billy Porter

I don’t know how anyone could make a style icon list for 2019 and not include Billy Porter. I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t even know who Billy Porter was until his Oscar’s appearance and his subsequent Met Gala look. Every time this man walks outside, he changes the entire atmosphere. I was so intrigued by his Oscar’s look, and everything else I have seen me in has pulled me in and captured my attention ever since.

All eight of these iconic celebrities have changed the fashion world this year. Each one has a distinct look and taste, and I think that is a great way to define the pop culture styles of 2019. No one is the same, and we all choose what we let influence and impact our decisions. These individuals have broken boundaries and stayed true to themselves: a very important message as we end another decade.

I am currently a Journalism Major at Hofstra University with a minor in Creative Writing. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and my dream is to work for a fashion magazine in New York City (basically I want a life like "The Devil Wears Prada"). My interests include fashion, binge watching movies illegally on the internet, and working out every other week or so.