This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Whether you’re trekking to Miami, the Caribbean, or simply back home, you will want to make sure your spring break vacay is safe. Yes, having a good time is a priority, but let’s be real, no rational person wants to have a Spring Breakers kind of Spring Break. Here are 8 tips on how to have a blast without endangering yourself and making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

1. Use the buddy system. Yes, it’s a classic rule, and everyone rolls their eyes at it, but there’s a reason it’s so tried and true. When it comes down to it, you are more likely to avoid uncomfortable or dangerous situations when you’re in a pair or in a group. Go to the ATM with someone else. Try and travel with at least one other person when you’re walking anywhere, especially at night.

2. Party smart. Let’s not pretend. You’re most likely going to drink and go out. Remember: being drunk makes you an easy target. You know your limit, so when you feel yourself getting to that point, don’t push it. If you put your drink down and leave it unsupervised by your gal pals, don’t come back to it. And don’t drink and drive, under any circumstance. Basically, if your mother has ever warned you about it, take it to heart. No one is telling you not to have a good time, but just make sure that you’re aware of your surroundings. Once you lose that, you put yourself in danger.

3. Check the liquor laws for your destination. Of course, anywhere in the U.S, the legal drinking age is 21, but once you’re out of the U.S, that right of passage may change. Usually, outside of the U.S. drinking age is 18 years old, including places like Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. But some places are even younger! So google it, and make sure you know what you’re getting into.

4. Make sure you’re drinking water, too! Dehydration is not a good look, so drink water. It’ll save you the unnecessary drama and a possible trip to the hospital. However, make sure that the drinking water is healthy for you to drink. Some countries, like Mexico, have unsafe drinking water that will make you sick. In that case, make sure you are splurging on bottled water!

5. If you go out with your friends, come home with your friends. Simple as that. If you’re vacationing with your friends, then you’re entering an unspoken agreement that you’ll look out for each other. You don’t have to be up each other’s butts the whole vacation, but believe me, if you’re between keeping your friend safe, or getting in on a hook up, choose your friend. You would want her to choose you if the roles were reversed.

6. Don’t be silly, wrap that willy! If you do choose to have sex, make sure you use protection. Not only that, but make sure you pack your protection yourself. Don’t count on the guy you’ve known for a few hours to have it. I think we can all agree that what happens during spring break should stay in spring break.

7. Leave your expensive stuff at home. You don’t need extravagant jewelry or family heirlooms. Leave them home if you don’t want to lose them. If you’re an accessories kind of girl, head to the mall before your trip and invest in some costume jewelry that won’t break your heart if it gets lost.

8. Be smart with your hotel room. If you’re planning on booking a room once you get to wherever you’re going, ask for a room that is above the first floor. Why? Because first floor rooms are more likely to be broken into. If your room has a safe, put your stuff in it: passports, extra cash, valuables. Also, make sure your doors are locked when you’re not around, and don’t let anyone in your room that you’re not positive you can trust.

Cortney Cordero is currently in her junior year at Hofstra University studying Journalism and Creative Writing. She is the Vice President of HerCampus's Hofstra Chapter, interning at CupidsPulse.com, and a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon. In her spare time, Cortney enjoys reading, writing, Tumblr, watching Netflix, and obsessing over Doctor Who. Follow her on twitter @CortneyCordero !
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!