This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all know how hard shoe shopping can be sometimes — you either want all of them or none of them, and you either find the perfect pair or you have no idea what you’re even looking for. I think there certain shoes that everyone needs in their wardrobe for both pratical and style reasons. The eight shoes that I picked are all shoes that I have in my closet, so you can see why I think they are necessary to have.

Basic Sneakers

No matter what outfit you are wearing, a basic pair of sneakers can add a casual flare. I recommend getting them in neutral colors like black and white so that you can easily match things with them. From dresses to jeans, I wear my Target brand white sneakers almost every day. Popular brands like Vans and Converse are known for these shoes that I don’t think will ever go out of style.

Rain Boots

There are few places in the world where it doesn’t rain, so waterproof shoes are essential. I never thought rain boots were that important until I stepped in a puddle with them, and my feet were still dry. The brand Hunter is my favorite because they have different heights and fun colors for their boots. Though, you can always find cheaper pairs of rain boots at most retail and shoe stores.

Strappy Heels

In college, there aren’t many times that we will be wearing heels in an everyday setting, but I think it’s always important to be prepared. You never know when you’re going to go to a formal event or have an important interview in which you need a classic pair of heels. These Steve Madden heels are excessively strappy (I don’t expect anyone to go out and buy a pair like this) but I think heels with straps are more functional than pumps. Straps are easier to manage in my opinion, and they let your feet breathe.

Flats

Flats, with or without backs, are a great alternative to heels in case you’re not a big fan of being three inches taller for an entire day. A classic ballet flat has been my go-to dress up shoe since I was in middle school orchestra. I think black flats are a must, but whatever your style, you can pick any version and color of this slip-on shoe.

Flip Flops

If you have ever had to shower in a public place, you definitely own a pair of flip flops or some other kind of rubber shoe. As a former swimmer and lifeguard, I am so used to slipping on a pair of flip flops for everything that I do — they are my slippers and my running-late shoes. Old Navy always has huge flip flops sales at the beginning of every summer, and you can get cheap and funky-colored ones. I probably have close to 15 pairs of flip flops (too many honestly) but you really only need one good pair.

Moccasins

Moccasins are the perfect mixture of a slipper and a flip flop in my opinion. They keep your feet warm and you can wear them around the house, but they can also be worn outside when you are running late or you just need to grab something. I know that L.L. Bean has a pair of really fluffy ones, but you can find them at a lot of shoe stores, especially around Christmas.

Sandals

Besides flip flops, it’s always good to have other shoes that you can wear in the summer when you aren’t just going to the pool. Sandals have many varieties, like a lot of shoes on this list, which means you can find the perfect pair to match your summer style. Birkenstocks are a really popular brand of casual sandal that many people wear into the fall and winter months by adding some socks. 

Classic Boots

Besides rain boots, there are so many other types of boots that are important to have. From ankle booties to knee-highs, I think that a classic black boot is a must. They might not all be waterproof like rainboots, but they keep your feet covered in the fall and winter months, and they can add a lot flair to any outfit. There are so many brands that sell different kinds of boots as well, all the way from Doc Martens to Uggs.

These eight different pairs of shoes are important in my wardrobe, and may be important in your own without you realizing. I think most of you own at least of few of these kinds of shoes already, which makes getting the rest of them that much easier.

I am currently a Journalism Major at Hofstra University with a minor in Creative Writing. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and my dream is to work for a fashion magazine in New York City (basically I want a life like "The Devil Wears Prada"). My interests include fashion, binge watching movies illegally on the internet, and working out every other week or so.