Style > Decor

8 DIY Halloween Decorations for your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Halloween may look a little different this year, but that does not mean you can’t decorate for the holiday. In fact, spicing your dorm room up with spooky decorations is guaranteed to have you feeling more festive this October. Keep reading for 8 easy DIYs that range from painted pumpkins to creating your own chunky knit blanket. Grab your roommate and get crafting!

Ghost Tassel

This ghost tassel is super easy and super cute. All you need is some yarn for the body and felt for the eyes. You can even string multiple ghosts together to create your own spooky ghost garland. Watch the video linked above to see how easy this DIY is. Be original! You don’t have to make all your ghosts with white yarn.

Pumpkin Planter

There are several ways you can create your own pumpkin planter. During this time of the year, many stores are selling pumpkin buckets that usually cost around one dollar. You can use these buckets to hold your plants for the season, or you can paint directly on your plant’s original pot and create your own scary pumpkin face. Either way, this DIY will have your plants looking very spooky this Halloween.

Chunky Knit Blanket

This chunky knit blanket DIY is not originally Halloween-themed, but why not make it? Use green, purple and orange yarn and knit this blanket while watching your favorite scary movie. This DIY is made all by hand and requires no knitting needles. Watch the video linked above to see how to make your own chunky knit blanket!

Painted Pumpkins

It can be tricky to carve pumpkins in your dorm room (and some schools don’t even allow it), so try out this alternative! Instead of carving your pumpkin, why not paint on it? It is super easy to do and the pumpkins will last longer this way. Turn this into a fun Zoom activity, and may the best painted pumpkin win!

Potion Bottle

For this DIY, all you need is some type of jar or bottle and Mod Podge. If you don’t have any extra jars lying around (rinsed out jam jars or unused mason jars), several art stores sell them at affordable prices. After obtaining your bottle, create a spooky label using Canva or Photoshop, print it out and mod podge it on to the bottle. It is as easy as that! If you want to go above and beyond with your potion bottle, the video linked above shows a few ways you can really get creative with this DIY.

Halloween Paper Wreath

This DIY is so simple and all you need is a paper plate, colored paper and glue. You start by cutting the center out of a paper plate to create a ring. Once you have done that, you can start to create a pattern by attaching your colored paper around the circle. It is easy, cheap and a DIY you can use for the next holidays coming up.

Paper Bats and Spiders

Similar to the last DIY, all you need is black construction paper. By folding the paper in half, you can easily cut out bat and spider designs that you can hang up around your dorm. “Look at these bats, we love Halloween!”

Jar of Eyeballs

Using any old jar you have lying around or buying one you found at a store, you can create this spooky DIY. Simply draw eyeballs on a few ping pong balls and put them inside the jar. You can then add water with a few drops of food coloring and shake them up. There you have it, your own jar of pickled eyeballs.

We hope you found this list of Halloween DIYs helpful and we can’t wait to see what you create! Tag us in pictures of your new spooky dorm room at @hchofstra on Instagram. 

Taylor is a Senior at Hofstra University with a major in Journalism and a minor in Photography. She is from Nevada and is now having a wonderful time in New York!