8 Awesome and Underrated Cosmetic Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Calling all makeup lovers: if you’re in search of new cosmetic brands to add to your arsenal of lippies, foundations, brushes and more, look no farther. Even if you aren’t ~technically~ on the market for new brands to try, a few new products never really hurt anyone, amiright? Here are eight brands you absolutely need to know about!

No7

Based out of the UK, No7 was developed from the skincare company Boots. The brand got its name because the number seven is often used to describe something that’s lucky or perfect, and that’s exactly what this brand is. From skincare products to shimmer bricks and several types of foundation, No7 is pretty close to being perfect- and it definitely needs to have a spot on your vanity. You can find No7 at Target, Ulta, or online.

Shop it here.

Profusion Cosmetics

Very few people don’t appreciate a good dupe for a high end product, and Profusion has one of the best ones out there. Instead of spending almost $50 on the Shade + Light Contour palette from Kat von D Beauty, you can snag Profusion’s Pro Contour Palette, an ~almost~ identical dupe for only $7. And if that’s not enough incentive to start shopping now, almost everything on the site can be bought for under $10. #Win

Shop it here.

Zoeva

For all the rose gold lovers in the house, Zoeva’s line of rose gold brushes are necessary additions to your collection. They also sell sultry eye palettes, sleek makeup bags, blush, highlights and more, almost all for under $20.  

Shop it here.

The Lip Bar

In 2011, Melissa Butler, ultimate lady boss and lover of lipstick, set out to create bold lip products that were made from healthy ingredients and easy to wear. She took her idea to Shark Tank and The Lip Bar was born. Now, her line includes both lipsticks and liquid lips, which cost under $15. If you’re ready to up your lippie game, be sure to snag some fab ones from The Lip Bar.

Shop it here.

Geek Chic Cosmetics

If you’re a self-proclaimed “geek” who also loves beauty, this line was made for you. Geek Chic Cosmetics offers a variety of eye, lip, face and body products all inspired by movies, TV shows and games like The Avengers, Mario Kart, Dr. Who, Harry Potter and more. And if that wasn’t enough, all of the products are vegan and cruelty free.

Shop it here.

Morphe

If you’ve ever watched a Jaclyn Hill Youtube video before, you know that 1) She’s basically the queen of beauty and 2) She raves about Morphe products. From their high quality brushes to pigmented eye shadow palettes and affordable lip cremes, there’s so much about Morphe that makes it worth your money. And at the very least, try it out because Jaclyn says so.

Shop it here.

Essence Cosmetics

Calling all brow lovers: if you haven’t heard, Essence Cosmetics has one of the greatest dupes for Benefit’s Gimme Brow gel. Instead of spending $24, Essence’s Make Me Brow gel mascara retails for $2.99, and reviews claim it’s almost an ~identical~ dupe. In addition, Essence offers a variety of eye shadows, eye liners, mascaras, facial products and nail polishes, all generally under $10.

Shop it here.

e.l.f. Cosmetics

Okay, chances are you probably already know about e.l.f. Or at the least, you may recognize it from seeing it in the drugstore aisle as you rush to throw Maybelline and Revlon in your basket. Recently, e.l.f. has ~seriously~ stepped up their game. Anything you could ever need is likely made by e.l.f., and they’re retailed at a fraction of the cost of most other drugstore products. So that means you need e.l.f. in your life, like, right now.

Shop it here.

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.