7 Times Disney Pop Princesses Understood Your Angsty Side

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

At some point in every 90’s born tween years we all jammed to Disney pop princesses who seemed to understand our pain so well. Between puberty, drama-filled friendships, and new relationships, we started having solo nights with ice cream at an early age. Before we all got into so soulful voices of Adele and John Mayer we enjoyed our pity parties listening to Radio Disney and thinking, “wow, they get me so well!”

If We Were A Movie – Hannah Montana

This is the moment in which Hannah got real (given the circumstances) and she had girl talk with your tween self as you fell in love. She let us know that no you’re not alone for falling for your best friend who you think deserves better (aka you). Unfortunately your fantasy will fall to the fantasy of cinematic masterpiece *Sighs*.

Outside Looking In – Jordan Pruitt 

Although the majority of girls go through bullying, Jordan calls out the bully for not understanding life where the grass isn’t greener. She confronts the issue in a soulful melody by explaining the hardships of what it’s like to watch everyone in popularity while she’s stuck with no one.

No One – Aly and AJ 

This is yet another song to point out how lonely you feel. Every time this song comes on it’s most likely raining, I’m emotionally unstable and I cry. Don’t worry folks because in the end you realize that it doesn’t matter whether other people are making an effort to make you happy if you aren’t making the effort to love yourself.

Catch Me – Demi Lovato

This is the song you wish you could say to all your crushes! Inevitably you’ll find a guy that you fall way too hard for which usually means that you’ll hurt 10x harder when it’s over. If only we had a meter to let us know exactly how much it’ll hurt so we could be mentally prepared. We feel you Demi!

So Yesterday – Hilary Duff

Here we go, the girl who was actually better as a singer than as Lizzie McGuire (who is pretty freakin amazing). In the whole album “Metamorphosis” Hilary taught us especially on this single that we have two choices: cry or move on and wait for the sun to rise the next day. “Haven’t you heard that I’m goanna be ok?”

Cinderella – The Cheetah Girls

Calling all my independent ladies here! This song was our first dose of modern day feminism and we love it. These girls taught us about equal love and that we can be successful without a guy to rescue us. “I don’t wanna be like Cinderella, sitting in a dark, cold, dusty cellar, waiting for somebody to come and set me free.” Preaaaaach

Say Ok – Vanessa Hudgens

Vanessa had us all crying over a breakup with a guy that held our hands and walked us to our locker in middle school. Even though we weren’t in serious relationships according to adults, we knew it was real. This song reassured us that we weren’t crazy for wanted to know that when times got rough that we felt secure that things would last.

Next time you’re feeling down, remember that your tween self had it harder. Jam out to these songs like it was the olden days for an instant remedy!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.