Style

7 Thrift-Flip Tips For When You Just Can’t Find That Perfect Piece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Thrifting is one of the most fun and unique ways to find new clothes for your closet. With it being affordable, it is easy to pick up so many items. With COVID-19, however, many dressing rooms are closed and this leads to some clothes not fitting. Here are 7 Thrift-Flip Tips to fix your new finds so they are perfect for you!

*DISCLAIMER*

Please do not specifically go out and buy extended sizes in clothing just to flip and alter them.

Shoe Tie belt

If your new pants are just a little too loose on the waist or just fit awkwardly, try a shoe-tie belt! All you need to do is find a spare shoe tie and loop it through the belt buckles and tie. Even if the pants do not have belt buckles, you can still use the laces to snug the pants to your liking. Try different shoe tie colors to match your outfits and spice up the look!

Ribbon Dress

Thrift stores can be the perfect place to find unique and even vintage dresses, though the downside is that oftentimes they are a little loose and don’t fit on the waist. Try taking a needle and thread and stitch two small hoops on each side of the dress where it meets your waist. Then, take a ribbon and thread it through the hoops and tie in the back. This lets the dress synch to your waist and provides a pretty solution as the ribbon compliments the style. 

Mish Mash

If a shirt is a little too tight for your liking, try cutting out a section on either the front, side, or back. Then take another shirt that you’re willing to cut up and stitch them together. This results in a cool mish-mash that not only makes the shirt more comfortable but becomes a unique one of a kind piece that you created!

Tie-Dye

Sometimes thrifting can lead to some clothes having stains or discoloration. No problem! Just get a tye dye kit and go wild! This will freshen up the color and distract from any pesky stains. Plus, tie-dye is so in right now. 

Bleach

Have a pair of pants or a shirt that are just a little too plain? Bleach them! The options are limitless! Make sure to be outside with a mask and gloves. You can bleach randomly or try drawing designs using a bleach pen. Typically, bleach designs look best on black pants or other pieces of clothing due to the contrast. Either way, it’s a great way to further your look!

Cut it Up 

This one is similar to our previous thrift flip about mish-mashing. If your shirt or pants are boring, try cutting them. For pants, you can cut distress marks or cut the bottoms so they’re frayed. For shirts, try cutting up the middle so you can tie the top or cut out a long back.

If all else fails, crop it!

Cropping an oversized t-shirt is super easy and simple. All you need is a pair of scissors, a pencil, and if you have it, a long/straight guide such as a ruler or stick. Draw where you want the new length to be and cut! This is a simple way to spice up a shirt and bring new life to your fit.

At the end of the day, these tips are just a rough guide. Be creative and modify your clothes to make you happy!

Hi! My name is Marlana Ryan and I am a sophomore music business major here at Hofstra. I love music, movies, and thrifting!