friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

7 Songs You NEED on Your Summer Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Summer is almost here, which means it is time to update that old summer playlist! So much amazing music has come out this year, and who doesn’t love a good summer drive with the windows down and the music blasting. Everyone needs a good, solid playlist when the seasons change, and here are the essentials you need to add this summer!

Mr. Perfectly Fine (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault) by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift has blessed us with so much new music this year, but this one just stands out as a summer song. It is a classic post break up anthem, and it is just a perfect song to scream with your best friends. It has the same amazing summer vibe as a lot of her older songs, and is already a fan favorite.

deja vu by Olivia Rodrigo

Olivia Rodrigo is a young, talented up and coming star. Deja Vu is her second single, and it encompasses everything that is summer love and loss. The song starts off strong with “Car rides to Malibu, strawberry ice cream, one spoon for two” which really sets the tone for the whole song and the season.

Levitating (featuring DaBaby) by Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa is another awesome new female pop sensation. This song, featuring another big star in DaBaby, is taking over Tik Tok and the world. It is the definition of a summer jam and will easily be one of the biggest songs of the summer. 

Kiss Me More (featuring SZA) by Doja Cat

Another amazing new song featuring a collab of two powerhouses in the music industry: Doja Cat and SZA. This is just another perfect song to jam out to with your friends and will bring the mood up instantly.

Save Your Tears (with Ariana Grande) by The Weeknd

The Weeknd just dropped a remix to his song “Save Your Tears” featuring Ariana Grande. She was the perfect addition to the song and it just has a really relaxing, summery vibe to it. It’s almost impossible to listen to the song without swaying along and cracking a smile.

Met Him Last Night (featuring Ariana Grande) by Demi Lovato

Another Ariana Grande feature, this time with Demi Lovato on the main track. A little more tame than some of the other songs, yet it still has an amazing beat and really outstanding vocals. Similar to “Save Your Tears”, it definitely has a vibe to it that makes it fit any summer playlist.

Up by Cardi B

Every good summer playlist needs a hype song, and this is our choice. One of Cardi B’s most recent releases, this song definitely provides some much needed energy to a playlist. When this song comes on, there is no doubt everyone will be up out of their seats.

No matter what else is in your playlist, these songs are definitely staples for this summer. They are already taking over the world and will only blow up more as the weather gets warmer. With these songs, this summer will be full of good vibes and even greater music.

Hi there, I'm Liz! I'm a junior public relations major at Hofstra University and a member of Phi Sigma Sigma. I am a fun loving, spontaneous Jersey girl with a slight Starbucks addiction. You can always find me making new Spotify playlists, binging something new on Netflix or watching football (Go Ravens!).